Sign in to follow this  
frankypoo

know of a dumbed down multianim sample?

frankypoo    100
What I don't like about the multianimation sample from the SDK is how many off topic capabilities it uses, making it 100% unreadable. Things like directinput, directsound, pixel and vertex shading, and DXUT. They should have a separate folder like "multianimation without the BS" for those who just want to learn how to multianimate, because I've been perusing the code for weeks now and can't figure anything out. I can't find any good up-to-date tutorials on the web, either. Anyone have any resources?

Have a look at Frank Luna's paper "Skinned Mesh Character Animation with Direct3D 9.0c" at http://www.moon-labs.com/ml_resources.htm, particularly sections 6 ("Multiple Animations") and 7 ("Animation Blending").

frankypoo    100
that site is very helpful, thanks!
Hey, i noticed that jim adams uses dxfile and IDirectXFileData to load data objects, but the sdk never uses these and always sets the userdata parameter of D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX to NULL.
Do you know what this is about, or in what circumstances it would be a good idea to parse like Jim parses?
(does this make sense?)

[Edited by - frankypoo on June 12, 2005 3:14:14 PM]

The DirectX file format is very open to extension. You could, for example, have additional data in your Frame instances to hold rotation limits or joint stiffness for doing ragdoll physics. But to import that data requires extending the parsing mechanism, which is where the .x file interfaces such as IDirectXFileData are useful. Or at least that's my understanding; I haven't made use of it yet.