Sign in to follow this  
5MinuteGaming

First Game & Site

5MinuteGames,

I couldn't get to your game. No matter how I tried.

Decent screenshots of your 3d modeller deal. Try posting an image of something a little more complex.

Black and green for a website. Low contrast. Bad choice. Try a light gray background for the links (when you hover over them), or change the text color instead.

You need some kind of welcome text. Something that explains who on earth you are and what you are doing.

Your links need to look like links. When I hover over them, I don't get anything but a "text selection" mouse cursor. There is no information displayed about the links and where they go. And I couldn't go anywhere. Other than the modeller, or the forum, which has no explanations really.

It appears that you have an ok outline of what should be on your site eventually. You need to flesh our your pages, and especially your writing - we need explanations!

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback Torus and your right I do have a lot of work to do one the site. Your suggestions are very good and I will definitely make those changes.

As far as the links go you might want to use a IE type browser. I know that most of my DHTML and javascript won't work in Firefox or Motzilla which is something that I mean to correct in the future.

I am updating the Modeller and will definitely add more complex screenshots. I hope that you could at least get the Modeller and run it? I'll bump this posting when I have added what you suggested.

5MinuteGames,

Yeah, I use Firefox. Can't stand IE most of the time. Mainly 'cause I work as a consultant to a security company, and I know the problems that IE has with security. Anyways, I digress...

The point is that you are always going to struggle with browser compatibility issues. You need to evaluate just what percentage of people you want to reach - are you going to stop with the 90% that use IE, or are you going to go a few percent more and get the people who use Firefox/Mozilla, too?

I would recommend repeating the navigation in plain old HTML in the footer of your page. That way people like me who won't use IE unless forced at gunpoint will at least be able to get around.

I'll be watching for the bump...

Torus

Well I am actually reworking my site so that it will be compatible with the lastest Firefox version. I can keep a good majority of the javascript entact but I see your point and will also add in a link to an all html webpage.

As far as the percentage of people I want to reach. I am not too concerned about compatibility between browsers. I'm focussing on content and overall layout.

I tried downloading from the links on my site using Firefox v1.0.4 with no additional plugins or setting changes from the default. The only download that seemed to work was the PicMaker.

I have to find a good hosting site which will allow me to upload and store my files. Until then I'm deeply sorry about the inconvenience but still anymore feedback on the site would be appreciated. I will keep you all informed when I do get things up and running properly.

A few things...

1) I agree with Torus, less contrast between the text and the background will make your content much more readable.

2) It will look a lot better if you put some padding in your colored content panels. The text shouldn't be right up against the border like that.

3) Generally it is considered good practice in web design to put all your styles in a separate document rather than in the code like you have them. It makes it much easier to update in the long run, trust me.

Andy

Thanks for the thoughts Andy I appreciate it and yes I think it would be a good design decision to keep all the style and js code in seperate files instead of the way I have it now. I know that having js files and adding them to my content won't work on tripod but since I am contimplating on making a site location move I will definitely use seperate files. About the padding I agree as well and will put padding around the text as soon as I can.

That's quite a bit of javascript... You might want to put most of that into stylesheets; then it might be more compatible with other browsers. And the back button would work properly.

Sign in to follow this