Help setting up DummyNet

Started by
4 comments, last by gg83 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi. I’m developing a multiplayer game that runs flawlessly on my home network and on broadband internet connections. But when I tried the game with my friend who has dial-up, the game was completely unplayable. I heard that DummyNet is a perfect tool for testing multiplayer games and I’m dying to use it but I can’t seem to make it work! Let me tell you about my setup: My two main computers, ComputerA and ComputerB, communicate perfectly when connected directly via a crossover cable, so there is no issue there. My DummyNet Box is just an old pc with 2 identical network cards. The cards are the: Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCI Adapter Model #: LNE100TX My set up is as follows: ComputerA connected to DummyNet Box via cross-over cable DummyNet Box connected to ComputerB via cross-over cable My DummyNet Box boots up off the pico.000608.bin image file that I got from the official DummyNet site (http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/). After logging in with… Login: root Password: setup …these are the commands that I enter and their responses (my commands begin with “#”) # sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=1 net.link.ether.bridge: 0 -> 1 # sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1 net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw: 0 -> 1 # ipfw add pipe 1 ip from any to any 00000 pipe 1 ip from any to any Now, from the bits and pieces I’ve picked up from the internet, ComputerA and ComputerB should now be able to communicate, but they don’t! I can’t even ping from one to the other. Am I doing something wrong! Oh and the link lights on the all 3 computers are on so I know that at least the connections are okay. Can anybody help me?
Advertisement
See my post in this thread.
I used identical Intel Pro100 NIC's (the 3Coms I tried did not work).
Thanks! I'm going to buy the Pro100's immediately. I'll let you know if they work out. Thanks again!

Quote:Original post by CircleOfThirteen
Thanks! I'm going to buy the Pro100's immediately. I'll let you know if they work out. Thanks again!

Perhaps do some research to find out what NICs DummyNet currently supports. This link may be helpful: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-August/033549.html

Looks like Intel Pro100's are available on ebay for very low cost ($7.95 for 5 cards).

From the freebsd link above, it appears that DummyNet may also support the Pro1000 (currently available via retail).
Success! I installed 2 of the following card in my DummyNet box:

Intel Pro/100 S
Order Code: PILA8460C3
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro100s_adapter.htm

And now my DummyNet box works flawlessly! Thanks so much John!

I can't believe how awesome DummyNet is and yet there's not much documentation about the cards that are compatible with it. Maybe this would be a good place to list DummyNet Compatible network cards?

Well thanks again! I'm off to do some testing!
Quote:Original post by CircleOfThirteenI can't believe how awesome DummyNet is and yet there's not much documentation about the cards that are compatible with it. Maybe this would be a good place to list DummyNet Compatible network cards?

Well, knowing that PicoBSD is a very slim subset of FreeBSD to fit on a floppy. You could just run FreeBSD on a box, if you have a spare, and run dummynet through FreeBSD. Can then use all the interfaces available to it in case the small PicoBSD didn't have the drivers for your card. Network Interface list for FreeBSD 5.4 for those that might stumble upon this thread down the road. I'm not sure which ones are included with PicoBSD though, since it's built off FreeBSD 3.0. Dummynet just builds off of IPFW. Handbook Entry for IPFW. And the man page for dummynet which will lead you to the man page of ipfw.

Well, I ended up digging around the PicoBSD source and came upon this for everyone. This is from the kernel config file, in case you are wondering.

Quote:#
# The following Ethernet NICs are all PCI devices.
#
device miibus
device fxp # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device rl # RealTek 8129/8139
device sis # National/SiS
device dc # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
device ed

Probably far more information then needed. :/
"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it." - Samuel Johnson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement