Sign in to follow this  
redtshirt

PDA Question

I was looking into buying a PDA, and was wondering if there is such a thing as a compiler that will compile OpenGL, SDL and C++ applications. If there is such a thing, what pda model should I get, where do I get the compiler, and how much is it all going to be?

Save your money, writing code is something they're not good for. You can get a version of GCC that actually runs on the device, which was decent when I tried it, but actually writing any sort of code on those things is tedious at best. The screens are small, most of the handwriting input methods don't recognize a lot of characters that tend to come up in code, so you have to go out of your way to access them, and even just typing out alpha-numeric characters is slow.

Maybe if someone made an editor that did a lot of autocompletion, autoindentation, had a custom input that made stuff like |,{,},_,etc easy to access it would be better, but as of right now I think I'd prefer a piece of paper and a pencil if I didn't already have one.

I have a PDA. Typing works well on them if you have a foldable keyboard to go with it(something I have yet to buy). They fold up pretty small and having a foldable keyboard plus a pda is still a lot less to carry than my laptop. It would be ideal in certain situations. I don't plan on compiling code on it however. I think the best thing to use is for is typing the code; get one with windows ce(I use a ipaq) and use either the pocket work to type the code and transfer it to your pc or laptop for compiling or better yet see if you can find a code editor that will actually highlight certain words in your code and stuff. I'm sure someone has made one and I should look into that also.

-Jake