• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Eitsch

Skybox generation

This topic is 4879 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what is de fastest and nicest way to make a skybox. the problem is the transition beetween the walls and the sky. how do you manage this? how do you generate the images? thanks

Advertisement
If you do your skybox correctly you shouldn't have any issues with walls and the sky but a seemless look. You need to use clamp_to_edge for texture coordinates and have a good skybox texture set to start with. I might be wrong on this but from what I remember Farcry uses a skybox also...

The "transition" is simply that the sky box is drawn where other things aren't. Typically, you'll clear your Z buffer, then draw the sky box without writing the Z buffer, then draw everything else, so that it's the furthest thing there is.

There's a sky box tutorial with some sample textures here. Those images are generated using the POV-Ray ray tracer; other people use Bryce, or some other 3D program. You can also use a 360 degree perspective photograph and warp it into the correct 6 images.

Quote:
The "transition" is simply that the sky box is drawn where other things aren't. Typically, you'll clear your Z buffer, then draw the sky box without writing the Z buffer, then draw everything else, so that it's the furthest thing there is.

thats the old way, now u wanna draw the skybox last

I guess to save fill rate, right? [assuming the video card dos some kind of automatic z-culling for you]

how do you get the best restults for the wall textures. the problem is the transition beetween walls and the upper plane. i don't have the chance to get a good photografy...no widescreen camera

Quote:
Original post by Eitsch
how do you get the best restults for the wall textures. the problem is the transition beetween walls and the upper plane. i don't have the chance to get a good photografy...no widescreen camera

Check out hplus0603 link in his post...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!