Skybox generation

Started by
5 comments, last by MARS_999 18 years, 10 months ago
what is de fastest and nicest way to make a skybox. the problem is the transition beetween the walls and the sky. how do you manage this? how do you generate the images? thanks
Advertisement
If you do your skybox correctly you shouldn't have any issues with walls and the sky but a seemless look. You need to use clamp_to_edge for texture coordinates and have a good skybox texture set to start with. I might be wrong on this but from what I remember Farcry uses a skybox also...
The "transition" is simply that the sky box is drawn where other things aren't. Typically, you'll clear your Z buffer, then draw the sky box without writing the Z buffer, then draw everything else, so that it's the furthest thing there is.

There's a sky box tutorial with some sample textures here. Those images are generated using the POV-Ray ray tracer; other people use Bryce, or some other 3D program. You can also use a 360 degree perspective photograph and warp it into the correct 6 images.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:The "transition" is simply that the sky box is drawn where other things aren't. Typically, you'll clear your Z buffer, then draw the sky box without writing the Z buffer, then draw everything else, so that it's the furthest thing there is.

thats the old way, now u wanna draw the skybox last
I guess to save fill rate, right? [assuming the video card dos some kind of automatic z-culling for you]
Close this Gamedev account, I have outgrown Gamedev.
how do you get the best restults for the wall textures. the problem is the transition beetween walls and the upper plane. i don't have the chance to get a good photografy...no widescreen camera
Quote:Original post by Eitsch
how do you get the best restults for the wall textures. the problem is the transition beetween walls and the upper plane. i don't have the chance to get a good photografy...no widescreen camera

Check out hplus0603 link in his post...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement