• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mike.Popoloski

FPS Features / Effects

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a basic FPS up and running and I was trying to think of what makes a good FPS, one that you can tell wasn't homemade. I came up with a few ideas and was wondering how to implement them. I also wanted youy thoughts on effects or features that would work well in an FPS. They dont have to have been done before. Just post your idea along with a link or some psuedo-code. Anyways here's my idea that I need help with. 1. Peremenant Bullet Holes - Are they worth it? Would they slow down rendering too much? I was thinking that you could just store them in a linear array and then draw them out in order.

Advertisement
Quote:

1. Peremenant Bullet Holes - Are they worth it? Would they slow down rendering too much? I was thinking that you could just store them in a linear array and then draw them out in order.

It all depends on how you impliment them. If you have 3000 bullet holes, that could drop your FPS alot. For my game, I added rain and that slowed it down from 800 fps to 250 because of the sheer amount of drops to loop thru (this was back in early stages). So if you just had a big ass array of coords then it will slow down your game a decent amount. I don't know how you render you game but if you render it per room or per area then you could add bullet holes to the room/area which would speed that up. You could also make a texture out of it or something so that after you have bullet holes on the wall, you could turn it into 1 texture which would have no effect on FPS.

Quote:

I have a basic FPS up and running and I was trying to think of what makes a good FPS, one that you can tell wasn't homemade. I came up with a few ideas and was wondering how to implement them. I also wanted youy thoughts on effects or features that would work well in an FPS. They dont have to have been done before. Just post your idea along with a link or some psuedo-code. Anyways here's my idea that I need help with.

Blood is awsome to add, could be done the same as the bullets.

When an enemy is hit, you could add the hit effect. An example of what I mean is when he is hit in the arm it could fly off or move so that the guy could only have 1 weapon or he would drop it. Also if he got shot in the leg, it could fly off or w/e and then you couldn't move around or someting if your playing a death match cuase that would such in single player.

Blood trails would be pretty cool. Wound a guy and track him down by his blood :p

Suicide device :P plastique or something so you can blow yourself up when you about to die.

And of course, you have to add a chain saw, bring back the greatness of doom.

Over exaggerated headshots and body hits. When you get a head shot, make brains and blood go everywhere and an option. I would play your game even if it only had 1 guy and 1 gun if you could shoot them in the head and it blows up :p

part shrinkers. Shoot them in the head, head shrinks, same with every part of the model.

well thats all I can think of on the spot

hope that helps, Jake

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!