• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GodlyGamr

Large FPS Drop, Should I Be Concerned?

This topic is 4877 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I just completed (read: first semi-working try) the code to draw a map in my 2D game world. The map consists of 64x64 tiles, 192 (16x12) of which are displayed on the screen at a time. Before drawing, I had a FPS of about 650-700 FPS. However, now I'm down to about 200 FPS. This makes sense, though. I am locking the vertex buffer and calling DP for every tile. My question is, should I take the time to optimise now, or are 200 FPS still enough to work with for the time being. Would it be a better option to draw everything else I could possibly need and then optimise if my FPS drops below a playable threshold? Thanks for any advice, Jeff

Advertisement
With 200 FPS you still have lots of room for all kind of stuff, don't worry about it. :)

But if you could get that lock / unlock and dp call away from every tile it would boost it a lot.

- Every tile that has a same material goes to material vertex buffer (every material has vertex buffer). So basicly with 2 materials/textures you would have 2 dp calls. Arrange them by material.

Why do you need to lock the vertex buffer to draw each tile?

200 FPS is good, but you shouldn't need to lock all the time.

Just so you know, a drop in FPS from 700 to 200 is equal to a drop from 80 to 62 FPS.

dont use FPS as a metric for working out how much adding a feature changes your performance - its non linear.
use the Timer per Frame instead (1 / FPS)...

750 fps is 1.42 ms / frame
200 fps is 5 ms / frame
60 fps is 16 ms / frame - so you still have plenty to work with before you even get down to a fps anyone could see. your render routine is only taking 3.6ms / frame.

as a general rule, you shouldnt bother optimising until you've actually done most of the work - if you optimise too soon, you'll get bogged down and wont finish.

Why not lock, fill the vertex buffer, unlock, and call just 1 dp in each cycle? tile textures can be in 1 or several bitmaps.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm gonna continue with what I'm doing and save optimising for when it's necessary.

-Jeff

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!