Cores

Started by
7 comments, last by JTippetts 18 years, 10 months ago
Surely many have you have heard about the dual-core processors which allow multi-threaded applications to be immensly more useful than before on single processor systems. AMD just announced that in 2007 they will have quad-core processors. Woo hoo! http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/11/1855239&tid=142&tid=118&tid=137 How many of you are planning on multi-threading your games now?
Advertisement
At this point in time, I think in 5 years it will be a standard and will be a core part of any CS and SE curriculum. All companies might make it a prerequisite to know a decent amount of concurrent programming.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I hope it's mainstream in atleast 5 years. This means a big performance for games. Even if people don't multi-thread their programs, their game can process on one core while others run on the other core.
Games have been multi-threaded for years... I do not think we will see a major program structure shift because of this; some games might ship with "added features" to take better advantage of the situation (and the OS itself should also play a role in exploiting the new parts.)

Case in point, Quake III had the r_smp option. Boy was it fun being able to brag to your friends that you could use that one! (Although in retrospect I don't believe it provided a huge boost in performance as it did to make one feel like he had a bigger e-penis.)
My e-penis is very huge thank you.....
I'll come out and say it...

yes, the amount of cpu's you have is proportional to the size of your penis.
Stay on topic, please. Restrict the crude jokes to the Lounge, or better yet to some other site. [wink]
^^ just mad cuz he's unit length! :D
*sigh*

As you wish...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement