• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
murdock

Process for Designing Games?

This topic is 4873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would someone please share their general process for designing games? I am having a hard time getting started on my game. I was hoping for something like. How do you go about breaking down the complexitys of a game, etc.?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by murdock
I am having a hard time getting started on my game.

What kind of a game is it?

first you would figure out what kind of game you want to make.
describe to yourself what you want your main character to do.
describe to yourself how you want NPCs (townsfolks, if any and enemies) to act
break all that down in specific parts and instructions.
then code for your main character.
once that's set, slowly code for the rest of your world (buildings, poles, and such)
then code for your NPCs

....repeat lines 5 - 7 until complete.

note: this is a suggestion not a foolproof way to do it

I was thinking more along the lines of how to determine what classes you would need, functions, etc.

Think of what type of data you need to store and how you want to organize it and access it. This will determine what classes and methods you need. Think about the parts in your program and what data they need.

Start reading about OO modeling. Investigate UML.
When working with a team read about RUP, XP or DSDM.

Pick the best things from these...

Cheers

My approach:
- Think about what you want from the game
- Then imagine the simplest possible version of that game, with almost all the features stripped out
- Implement that simple version, and get it working
- Then add features one at a time.

Manage complexity by abstracting it away. Look at the very vague overview and ignore the details. Implement the overview, and push the detail into functions. Fill those functions with dummy results and data if necessary, and fill them in properly later.

I've not seen anyone, or any book (yet), mention UML in regard of designing game systems. I find that weird because UML is perfect to describe game systems, since they actually try to represent real-world objects.

I'm looking at ways to describe a my own game with UML. Take a look at class, sequence and activity diagrams at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uml

It's funny to go through a book and not see a single graphical representation of a game engine, just code, code and more code... and no solid overview of the system :)

Although this isn't exactly what you were asking about, you'll find it useful when you actually have defined your game.

Here is what you need to know about your game:

- Basic idea: What kind of a game is it?
- Storyline: What is this game about, and when, where does it take place?
- Graphics: 2D or 3D? 1st person shooter, RTS? How is the user interface?
- Sound: Regarding user interaction and in-game sounds.
- Controls: Keyboard only? Mouse too? What happens when you hit/click some buttons?
- Play modes: Multiplayer, networked, single-player, two-player, etc.

You are right appel. UML is very useful in order for we see how our system will work, and also for others to see.
I had systems analysis and design and I consulted some interesting books regarding UML. For the ones who might be interested, they are:

Schaum's outline of UML
Bennett, Simon.

and

UML in a nutshell : a desktop quick reference.
Alhir, Sinan Si.

These were the only ones I consulted cause I also had many lecture material, but they are nice.

awrabest

To make the game code as good as posible, start designing it with some high level DFDs. Then, as you get a better idea of how the game is going to work, start to move lower level, with more detail and pseudo code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!