• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NamelessTwo

[.net] Does .NET 2.0 break .NET 1.1 Applications?

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've installed VC# 2005 Express, VC++ 2005, Visual WebDeveloper 2005 Express, etc. and SQL Server Express. I have a system with 512Mb RAM and 3.2GHz P4. I'm not sure if thats the reason but 2 of my programs that use .NET AutoCAD 2006 & MathCAD 12 do not function properly. I get exception with AutoCAD and out of memory with MathCAD, when trying to calculate integrals. I had no problems with AutoCAD on a 256Mb system and on a previous install of Windows (with no .NET 2.0 installed) I had no problems with MathCAD either. Could .NET 2.0 + SQL Server Express take up to much memory or something else? Could this be the problem? I also have .NET 1.1 installed.

Advertisement
Officially: multiple .NET framework versions can coexist and run at the same time but:
Officially: never run beta stuff on a production machine...

Cheers

As I know if the application is natively compiled with the .net framework (1.0 or 1.1), the CLR will start the newest framework even if the framework it was compiled for exists unless configured otherwise.

A solution to this problem may be to create a manifest in the Assembly folder specifying the framework version to use.

For more information check the source itself aka MSDN.
Notice the table under the header "Application Load Mechanisms and Possible Issues"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/netfxcompat.asp

I hope this was helpful.

Jarle

From personal experience I think no. I have 1.1 + 2.0beta2 at home and 1.1 + 2.0beta1 at work and I haven't found any issues with it. The only problem I had was when I upgraded beta1 to beta2 because I messed up something (hint: read readme.txt before installing) and just about everything using .NET stopped working. Reinstalling both versions fixed the problem.

To create a manifest which you can specify the framework version to use create a file named the same as the program. (If the executable is autocad.exe the manifest will be autocad.exe.config.)

Post this in it.

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<configuration>
<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322" />
</startup>
</configuration>

I think this should do it, but since I haven't had the same problem It's a best guess.

Yes there are currently issues with the 2.0 framework that are causing some backwards compatibility issues with ISVs. You can find more information regarding this on the Microsoft site, a lot of the problems have to do with the changes to serialization. This is being looked at and delt with before production launch of VS2005.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!