• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deadimp

MegaMan X Game Engine - Movement Demo (Direct3D Now Implemented)

This topic is 4873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've gotten down the basic movements of X in my hopefully-to-be-made fan game in C++, using my game engine, DGI, and I want to see what y'all think. Plus, now that I've added the new graphics engine, I've added some 'spiffy' effects to 'show off' what I now have in comparison to the old, crappy graphics engine. Please note that the basic movement hasn't changed from the original. Download: MegaManX_D3D.zip The Controls:
  • Left & Right - Move
  • Down - Duck
  • Z - Jump
  • X - Dash
  • C - Shoot (no charging yet)
  • Space - Toggle alpha blending for blocks
To Do List:
  • Fix movements (wall-climbing mainly)
  • Create Level Editor
  • Create Resource Manager (both of these are for my game engine)
  • Add Content (of course). More details on this soon... hopefully.
Also, it seems as though after replacing my graphics engine, the fixing I did with my window processes now makes it to where DirectSound isn't so [...] buggy, so I'll probably add sounds soon. Please tell me if this doesn't work on your computer. If not, please tell me your system specs. I know it works on a Windows XP Home Edition Computer, 256 MB RAM, 128 MB GeForce Gfx Card (my computer). Old Version 244 KB Do the lists seem a little... spacey? [Edited by - deadimp on June 20, 2005 2:58:12 PM]

Advertisement
Thanks for the replies.
The source for a MegaMan example will probably come out when I (if I do) finally post a beta version of my game engine, as an example.

hey, very nice!
although, being a fan of the original i cant help but pick at the wall jumping - it feels really strange moving into the wall first when you press the jump button and it seems it takes a little long to actually jump off the wall. also, i know in the originals (dont know if your aiming for this by the way - im assuming yes) when you jump off the wall you keep your momentum until you hit the ground if you jump away from the wall - i noticed in your demo you slow a bit after jumping off the wall.

those are the only very small things i could find to winge about [wink], so congratulations on getting it working so well so far - i think its great. i look forward to seeing a bit more of this soon [grin]!

Right now I'm using a combination of DirectDraw and WinGDI (Windows XP Home Edition), which really... sucks.
Actually, I plan on ripping the current graphics engine out of my game engine and inserting some Direct3D 2D stuff in there. It'll be fun *cough*, but it'll be worth it.

As for the momentum, I though it was that way... Must look into this.

EDIT: Huh, never notices it was like that. I'll fix that once I get the chance.

Well, if you're referring to the issue of the MegaMan copyrigths and such, I won't be selling it.

Thanks for the comments.

If anyone wants the Game Maker (www.gamemake.nl, v5.0) equivalent of this code, I have it on my site: http://deadimp.org/downloads/MMX_movement.zip - 244 KB. This code that I had made probably a year or so ago in Game Maker was the code I translated (and edited) into C++ to make this little demo, which will hopefully be incorporated into my game.

Just FYI, it doesn't matter if you are planning on selling it or not, there is still good chance of getting a cease and desist order. Free game 'mods' that use commercial IP get shut down all the time. It is a misconception that just because you aren't planning on selling it, that it is then fine to use it.

Anyways, looks great.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!