• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
onceloving

[web] Masking the Address/Status Bar

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here is my situation. I initally started out using a .tk site as a domain and running a webserver off my computer. Rather than typing in my ip address, users could just go to the domain name. I was using php to code the page, but the .tk domain page interfered with my login system (it automatically added in nocaching in the meta tag which seems to block out session_start();). Once I found out this, I got around it be redirecting the site to my actualy ip address (I just put in <script>parent.location=mysite.com</script>). The problem is that I don't want my ip address being shown in the address bar or the status bar. Is there anyway I can use javascript or some other language to rewrite the text in the address bar and status bar, or at least the address bar so that it will go back to saying the .tk domain name?

Advertisement
I'm not much into web development, but I know a lot of investment has been made to prevent that. It is a security thread to not show the proper url of the site a user is visiting (changing it is known as spoofing). So impossible: I cannot tell. Hard: probably. And luckily.

Greetz,

Illco

Could you not use something like domain redirection in this case? Or is that what you're doing already?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just shell out the US $13.00 or less for a real domain.

Domains are like $10 a year. If this is really that big a deal, get a real domain. Seriously.

I'm 15, I don't have a job, and this is for the debate team. It isn't really that big of a deal to me, but it just looks rough around the edges to see an ip address in the url box.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!