• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
utilae

Why does a potato sink?

This topic is 4783 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, You have a jar full of water. You have an apple and potato, which weigh the same. If you put the apple in the jar full of water, the apple floats. If you refill the jar with water and put the potato in the jar, the potato sinks. 1)Why does the apple float? 2)Why does the potato sink? 3)Anyone know a good site that explains this apple vs potato experiment?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
the potatoe acts like a sponge, the apple doesn't... not that hard, right?

The potato is more dense than the water, thus it sinks. The apple is less dense, thus it floats.
EDIT:
That, and the potato probably soaks up more water, increasing its density.

I believe that that clever ancient greek bloke Archimedes sorted this one out, when he discovered the rules of displacement.

It's to do with their density, not mass. Archimedes effectively discovered density (then proceeded to leap out of his bath, and run around the streets naked shouting "Eureka")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes

Mark

Well, you can go deeper with it as well.. My english aint good enought though..

But I think it has to do with pressure, and carrying/lifting forces (not sure what that's called in english, 'lyftkraft' in Swedish)..

erhm.. isn't because the apple has a hard shell, and inside the apple there's alot of air(you know where it keeps it's seeds), which makes the apple float. So it works like a boat or whatever.. While the potato doesn't have alot of air inside it, and if it does, it is sucked out and replaced by water...

Quote:
Original post by angry
erhm.. isn't because the apple has a hard shell, and inside the apple there's alot of air(you know where it keeps it's seeds), which makes the apple float. So it works like a boat or whatever.. While the potato doesn't have alot of air inside it, and if it does, it is sucked out and replaced by water...

What you're describing is density :P

Quote:
What you're describing is density :P

oh... well i didn't listen much in my physiology classes =) (hmmm.. if physiology is spelled wrong, I guess i didn't listen much in my english classes either... err... actually I mostly quit going to school after 6th grade... )

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!