The 3ds .x export problem continues, new information?

Started by
1 comment, last by GeekPlusPlus 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I know this topic has been beaten to death lately, but from what I've read no conclusions have come from it. It seems those who have it working don't know why it works, and those who don't have it working can't get help because of it. I have been messing around with some settings and I found out something _I_ thought was rather interesting and might help someone. When you are adding your physique modifier, if you apply the physique to the COM object of your biped, it will work in 3ds, but if you use the panda exporter... the animation won't be there. However, when I attached the physique to the actual hip bone, then using panda exporter his arms would work again (Max just hung when trying to export with Quest3D this way, haven't figured that out yet) However, it was ONLY his arms that worked. The mesh attached to his legs did not. When I say it "worked" it means I could get it to animate in the DX Mesh Viewer. However, it still didn't work when I loaded it into my own program. "Well there's something wrong with your program." Well obviously. I did however have a skeleton working just fine, the only difference I can see however, is the skeleton had individually meshed bones. When you load the mesh into DX, how does it know which mesh subsection to attach to each frame? And what exactly _IS_ a frame? Is there a frame for each biped bone in 3d studio? or is it broken up some other way? Hope someone can help, - GeekPlusPlus
- Newb Programmer: Geek++
Advertisement
I'm just going to try to answer the x-file question. I haven't been much help on the other subject.

All objects are stored in x-files as frames. Each frame represents a node in the hierarchy. So all children of one frame represent objects that belong to it. For example a character has a root node bone, and a mesh. The root bone node may have other bones or a mesh. Here's an example of how it could be stored. Saving an x-file in text format, you could compare this:

Root (frame){  Some_Dude (frame)  {    hip (frame)    {      transform (matrix)      mesh (mesh)      leftthigh (frame)      {        transform (matrix)        mesh (mesh)        leftshin (frame)        {          transform (matrix)          mesh (mesh)        }      }      rightthigh (frame)      {        transform (matrix)        mesh (mesh)        rightshin (frame)        {          transform (matrix)          mesh (mesh)        }      }    }  }}

That's just a rough example. I don't want to clutter up your post. One thing you'll discover is that all frames have transforms (Or at least I think!). Everything else is optional. DirectX has some very nice functions for manually loading x files if you choose to ditch the sample utilities code. I'm not advising to do this, but just in case.
First of all, thanks Jiia for the info, and you have helped quite a bit already.

Well, I think I may have found a problem:

On the main features page of the panda exporter it states:
Skinning using Character Studio Physique and Max Bones/Skinning (Not Biped)

_NOT_ Biped.

Which makes things very difficult having to create my own skeleton and do all the gravity mimics and IK HK setup. Any suggestions?

- GeekPlusPlus
- Newb Programmer: Geek++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement