• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArtemisX

DX SDK version problems...

This topic is 6420 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all. I''m at a bit of a loss. I have NO idea how to program for DirectX, but I''m trying to learn. Unfortunately, I haven''t seen any DX8 tutorials, and that''s the only version of the SDK I have. So I have a few questions: 1. Are there any good tutorials out there for DX8? 2. Is there someway to get DirectX 7 stuff to compile under the DirectX 8 SDK? If not, then... 3. Can you have two versions of the SDK on your computer peacefully? (or as peaceful as possible with MS products Any help on these topics would be appreciated. Thanks Artemis X. Dakota

Advertisement
1) Here and here. They are the only ones I know about (beside the ones in the SDK docs of course),

2) DirectX is built on top of COM, therefore it is compatible with older interfaces, so I guess the simple answer is "yes" ,

3) MS states to uninstall all previous SDK before installing a new one. I''d say you''ll run into big trouble if you don''t.

Hope this helps a bit.

I uninstalled the DX7 SDK to install the DX8 SDK, only to find the DX8 help files DX8 specific (and pretty useless for tutorials).

But since DX8 SDK is also compatible with DX7, I kept it installed and copied the DX7 help files only, so I still have DX7 reference material. This will be necessary until a good (beginner) book emerges on DX8.

If you are a long time DirectX programmer, you probably won''t have any trouble with the DX8 help, because it seems to assume you know what they''re talking about most of the time.

Todd M. Gillissie
gillissie@yahoo.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!