• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Link

Create a 3D game with c#

This topic is 4873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would try to create a 3d platform in c# my trouble if it is slower then a c++ one and it is not good c# for 3d game programming. Someone can light me?

Advertisement
If you are content on using C#, you will want to take a look at the Axiom Engine. It is a port of Ogre3D for C#. Note that it is still under development, so it is by no means 100% complete or bug free. Other than that, if you want to use C# with DirectX, good luck! You might want to consider getting a book, Introduction to 3D Game Engine Design Using DirectX 9 and C#, and take a look at a few tutorials to do so. I don't know of the actual speed performance, but using C# to call libraies of C++ is very slow. If you wanted to do game programming with DirectX, I'd say go C++ for now, but that's just my opinion on the matter. [wink]

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
I don't know of the actual speed performance, but using C# to call libraies of C++ is very slow. If you wanted to do game programming with DirectX, I'd say go C++ for now, but that's just my opinion on the matter. [wink]

When I looked at the benchmarks of Ogre3D versus Axiom based on the official demos, the C#-port showed higher FPSs than many of the C++ ones. Although this is certainly conditional partly because of the tiny size of the programs (they ARE demos, afterall).

As for C# as a valid place to get into some game development goodness with Managed DirectX, there's certainly no better place to start! Resources aren't as abound as DirectX with C++, but the MDX SDK is far easier to learn and get the hang of than its C++ counterpart. Speed isn't a major issue for most games below the Doom3/HalfLife2 mark, since the video card is the one doing most of the huffing and puffing. ;)

There are lots of places that you can get information on Managed DirectX,

Heres a Start.
Inner Realm
TheZBuffer
With the above links we have lists of resources that can help.

And Here are some more.

Managed DirectX Links
=====================
Coding4Fun
Managed World
The ZBuffer
Star Lynx
BrandyGames
Drunken Hyena
vbProgramming
GotDotNet Managed DirectX Home
Roby DX
Tutorial on CSharp and Direct Draw

Forums with Managed DirectX Content
===================================
vbProgramming

Managed DirectX Blogs
=====================
Tom Millers Blog
From The Soup To The Nuts
dwellerville
Craig Andera's Weblog
Mykre's Space
The Cloak of Wisdom

Graphics Engines (Managed DirectX)
==================================
DevMaster
2.5d Graphics/Game Engine using C# and Managed DirectX (9.0c)
The Axiom 3D Engine

I am developing a project in C# too. Speed will not be a problem if you'll code the game in a "21st century" fashion, that is, if you delegate some of the more cumbersome work to the GPU by using shaders and so on.

I think that people are definitely much too worried about the 1% performance loss that they get from using C# and managed code. If you want to code anything use any language you like. If it's too slow.. use culling techniques and such. C# shows a great way about coding ... it shows that coding is all about solving the solution rather than worrying about pointers and such. I would imagine that being Anders Hejlsberg dream...

Hope this helps a bit.

Does anyone know if there are commercial projects that were developed in C#? Some famous game perhaps? Microsoft is investing many resources on its .NET platform, so if not enough emphasis is put on developing games today using C#, I'm sure as the time goes by, it'll become more important.

So all these games are commercial and developed in c#?
Can you confirm it?
We may see rayman a day made in c# in your opinion?

Quote:
Original post by Link
So all these games are commercial and developed in c#?
Can you confirm it?

I know for a fact Arena Wars and the Tin Soldiers series are commercial games written in C#.. confirm it? Go to their site and purchase a copy :)

At work we are currently working on a commercial game in C# based on the 1.1 framework actually. There really is no reason not to use C#, other than if you don't want to have the .NET framework and MDX as a requirement for over 90% of the games out there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!