Hacker Game

Started by
5 comments, last by bytecoder 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm working on a graphical hacker game well its part of a game not the entire game and I wanted to get some idea of what people want in a hacker game. Its going to be something between shadowrun type hacking and Uplink style hacking. What I'm not going for is realism, so that means no console style hacking. The hacking aspect is used in conjunction with the real world infiltration and combat aspect, as well for information and resource gathering. I'm trying to come up with ideas of how the hacking aspect should look and the activities that can be done while there. Feel free to stop reading here and throw out any ideas you have. Gameplay: Currently I have. -Stealing files - ex. plans for a new hi energy micro laser. -Altering programs - ex. ??? -Controlling external devices - open/closing doors, turning automated turrets on defenders. -Overcoming IC - ex. avoiding detection programs, unlocking, or bypassing a barrier. -Hunting viruses - ex. tracking down an eliminating a Trojan that has infect your remote system. - Avatar vs Avatar combat Any other ideas for gameplay? Look and feel: I'm still not sure about this one. The hacking aspect will be from the point of view of your avatar which is what you use to interact with the digital world. You have to be able perform the different gameplay features as well as travel through the computer topography. I'm not sure I want a node system like in shadowrun, instead I was considering some sort of digital landscape, generated from the systems components and file structure. Avatar: The avatar has seven stats which correspond to the seven chakras, which will govern all its abilities, interactions, and the information the player receives while in hacking mode. If you can see a detection IC and recognize its type depends on your 5th,6th, an 7th chakra levels. I'm not sure if you will be able to install programs on your avatar or not. But right now I'm leaning towards not. IC (intrusion countermeasures): I need some good idea for IC, they should fall into one of two categories active and passive there could be both passive and activate versions of an IC. The basics types I've got so far are detection, barrier, encryption, security, are they any others? When it comes to overcoming IC there should be at least three methods, suppression which is basically destroying the program, alteration/negotiation which is over coming the IC in some way, and bypassing which is circumventing the IC in some manner. Example: A sweeper detection IC - looks for unauthorized users with a scanning beam. Can be destroyed, if it detects an avatar the avatar can attempt to convince the sweeper that they are an authorized user I’m think perhaps with a flashing lights type memory game, or the avatar can attempt to avoid the detection beam all together. Any ideas for all aspect would be welcomed and appreciated.
Advertisement
how about creating viruses?
how about some social engineering... would involve interacting with npcs to get technical information.

Id love to see it when its done. Uplink, DarkSigns, BS Hacker, Street Hacker were all fun as hell.

We're working on the same type of thing to integrate into our cyberpunk/post-apoc MMO.

We need more of these games!
Alfred Norris, VoodooFusion StudiosTeam Lead - CONFLICT: Omega A Post-Apocalyptic MMO ProjectJoin our team! Positions still available.CONFLICT:Omega
Quote:Original post by Vanquish
Id love to see it when its done. Uplink, DarkSigns, BS Hacker, Street Hacker were all fun as hell.

We're working on the same type of thing to integrate into our cyberpunk/post-apoc MMO.

We need more of these games!

If you like these kinds of games and want to see more of them then this your oppertunity to express your ideas, likes,and dislikes. Remember the better the feedback poeople give the better the final product can turn out.
I think the virtual world could represent not only the internal programs of the system you're trying to hack (other avatars, defenses...), but also show a representation of the various sub-systems and the data flowing between them.

Inside a room it could be like inside a computer, where you see stuff that you can mess with ("programs" or "objects"). A room (meaning a system or even a sub-system, if a computer is in charge of multiple tasks) where you can walk around easily means that, once inside that sub-system, you can access everything in it (of course, if the objects inside let you play with them or not is another story). But if this sub-system had its parts seperated in 2 computers, and there was a kind of a firewall between them, the room would have a force-field right in the middle, and you'd need to find a way through if you wanted to access the other side.

The corridors connecting rooms would represent the physical or software connection between the various sub-systems, and would usually have many different kinds of defense systems, and data going from one side to the other. Sometimes it might be useful to intercept some data, and maybe even modify it or create your own, to tinker with the systems. It would be cool to intercept and gain knowledge of the security code being sent from a door's numpad to the central security system; or fake the "access granted" message being sent to the door. Maybe sometimes the only way to enter a heavily guarded sub-system would be to find out which types of data accepted by the sub-system were considered to have executable data (maybe they would show up in a different color), so you could replace one of them with your own virus, or trojan, or simply send the avatar itself inside the data packet.

I'm sure finding out about these flaws in the system would be as fun as if you were an experience hacker yourself, but without over-complicating things (I just talked about different tools in your avatar-toolbelt that interact with objects in the virtual world). It's important to keep an informal and graphic interface that anyone can play, but asking the player to have some knowledge of the systems, laid out in the form of a relatively easy puzzle, with many different ways of solving it, only adds to the fun.
*cough* cracker, not hacker *cough*
Well, actually, you described activites of both hackers and crackers:
Quote:
-Stealing files - ex. plans for a new hi energy micro laser.

Hacking.
Quote:
-Altering programs - ex. ???

Cracking.
Quote:
-Controlling external devices - open/closing doors, turning automated turrets on defenders.

Cracking.
Quote:
-Overcoming IC - ex. avoiding detection programs, unlocking, or bypassing a barrier.

Both.
Quote:
-Hunting viruses - ex. tracking down an eliminating a Trojan that has infect your remote system.

Neither (system administrator).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement