• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jimiwa

[.net] can I sell games I compile? (vc++ .net standard)

This topic is 4876 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have visual c++ .net standard edition and I was wondering if I can sell games that I create and compile with it.

Advertisement
As long as you paid for it yes, however, the compiler that comes with the standard version is non optimizing, you might want to replace it with the free one that comes in the VC++ 2003 toolkit

A compiler takes your code and translates it into machine code, a non optimizing compiler would translate quite literally, where as an optimizing compiler would translate it into code that does the same, but either runs faster or is smaller in size, sometimes both.

So, Microsoft charges you for the slower compiler and gives the optimizing version away for free? That is a little confusing, I think. I'm glad I can just stick with GCC.

Quote:
Original post by ironfroggy
So, Microsoft charges you for the slower compiler and gives the optimizing version away for free? That is a little confusing, I think. I'm glad I can just stick with GCC.

Well, for practical purposes, they charge you for the IDE, but yes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!