• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jokerar

building a good programming environment

This topic is 4872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

good day, I'm trying to build a nice programming environment for myself with my windows 98, cause i believed in win98 stability(whatever). but i think win98 is quite outdated in some of its files and lacks some important patches and utilities, and i dont know where to get them. For example, the tweakui of powertoy is one of those thing i wish to have installed, but where to get them? So, pardon my english if you may, but could anyone tell me what are the best utilities and patches available on the net for win98 to make a great programming environment? Could you share them with me? thank you for your precious time. With the help of a community like this, progrMMING had never been easier.

Advertisement
you can find any official patches on Microsoft's website. I believe Win98 had a Windows Update feature, though I'm not too sure if it is still available. *might* be axed :P

But honestly, as much as I love Windows98 for its speed (vs the newer flavors of the OS)... I really would recommend you to transfer to a more stable OS. Not that it is a lost cause, but more out of experience. Certain types of programming errors may lead to unrecoverable crashes in the midst of development. Unless you have a robust error-handling mechanism in your code, be prepared for serious restarts and hard disk file corruptions. *sigh*

Still love it for playing games though :)

You should take a look at windows 2000, its a lot more stable, and its way faster than 98, which is surprising since it's a newer operating system.

you are right, i stuck to win98 mainly because of its speed.
But i hate trash files that are created by ME or XP, they took up
space gradually.And most of the time, the longer i run winXP,
the slower everything goes.
To me, win98 is more "transparent".

thanx for alternative os suggestions , but i really need
some ghood utilities and patches recmmendation.
Have a nice day.

Quote:
You should take a look at windows 2000, its a lot more stable, and its way faster than 98, which is surprising since it's a newer operating system.

I agree with the Win2k part a little as in it is more stable. But faster than 98? questionable. What system specs are you running it on? But, to contradict myself, Win98 tends to slow down horrendously after a while... in my case 4-6 months. I usually reformat my PC every half a year just to freshen it up. But that could be due to the filesystem for all I know. But fresh bootup of Win98 is hard to beat with any Windows OS besides XP :P

btw jokerar, even if there are patches available, they are minimalistic. I don't remember many security and stability patches for Win98 besides the obvious IE patches. As for system updates, they dont even have service packs. Closest you can get to a service pack is Windows 98SE :P

Tweak programs are available only to do that: tweak. This implies performance enhancment, but that rarely goes hand in hand with stability. If you are looking for some improvements that *may* be benefecial, look for the following types of tools:

Memory cleaners
Defragmenters
Task killers (Windows 98 task manager is hopeless)

If you really need a tweak utility, check out Xteq's X-Setup. Do a google for the address. They have (had?) regular plugin updates to add new tweaks and i believe it supports a huge lump of Windows OSes. Not too sure how applicable it is to your specific needs.

What about XP? XP if far better then 98! I think any ways. I hate Windows 98 I think it's horribly slow. So I don't see this speed you guys are talking about. I get XP up and running faster and tons more stable then 98 ever was or will be. XP is just a better OS the all the others.

Depending on what games you would like to play, give Linux a try. It's also badass and comes loaded...and I mean loaded with those little tweaking programs you want. Besides that, you really have control over every thing because you could just rewrite what you don't like (open source). I'm not a Linux expert and only have a little bit of experience with it, but that time I spent with it it has made an impact. I love KDE! Gnome I'm not as fond of but it's still cool.

You'll find a lot of graphics programs on Linux, that's for sure. Linuux distros usually come with some good games. Some of them are high-end 3D ones too.

Linux and XP on dual boot is the way to go. Screw DOS or 98! If you are going to get a Linux distro, I think you should try SUSE or Lycoris. Just type Linux in google and you'll find tons of stuff. Besides, if you really want an OS that you can create themes and visual styles for with out some other program, then try Linux with KDE or Gnome. Those two GUIs are easy enough to make cool shit for. I've made a few wallpapers for em, but that's it.

Quote:
Original post by jokerar
you are right, i stuck to win98 mainly because of its speed.
But i hate trash files that are created by ME or XP, they took up
space gradually.And most of the time, the longer i run winXP,
the slower everything goes.
To me, win98 is more "transparent".

Oops! I see. You mean you already have XP and want to switch to 98? Those trash files you are talking about are on 98 too. They are page files(sort of like memory on you're hard drive) that Windows used.

If things are running slower, maybe you need to empty that trash and clean up some temporary files. All that type of stuff is listed on Microsoft's site on how to maintain you OS.

Well, I'm going to buck the trend here and not tell you to switch operating systems, so... [wink]

I haven't personally checked to see how many of these will work with 98, but they're things I use on a regular basis and make my development life much better:

IDEs
- Visual Studio 98 (at work)
- Visual Studio .Net 2003 (at home)
- XCode (at work - whatever comes with Tiger)

Now, I personally revile XCode with every fiber of my very being, but the fact remains that an IDE (even if it sucks, ala XCode) is vital to good development. Having an editor, compiler, debugger, and (in the case of VS) reference manual all at your fingertips is incredibly handy. There are tools and conveniences built into IDEs that do wonders for development: Global Find/Replace, Intellisense and statement completion, VS.Net's integrated Task List feature, and so on. Absolutely beautiful stuff - especially if you've ever had to develop and deploy a production system on a POSIX platform with nothing but autotools and SSH.

Handy Utilities
- Irfanview. Excellent graphics viewer/converter.
- Decent text editor of your choice. I use Notepad, because I like it.
- Decent hex editor of your choice. I use the one integrated into VS most of the time.
- UltraMon. If you use dual monitors, this baby will not only save your bacon, but it will magically create a massive hill of bacon, fry it to a perfect crisp for you, bring it to you in bed on Sunday mornings at 11 AM, and feed it to you in a generally highly enjoyable manner.
- MBProbe. If your hardware supports it, this will monitor and display vital system temperatures and fan speeds. Great for high-stress development.
- Trillian. Instant messenging is a big part of how I collaborate with my team, because we work over the internet.
- Skype. Because voice-chatting to someone over the internet is cool.
- WinAmp - if listening to music while you work helps you out.
- PGP toolkit of your choice. PGP is cool for security, when needed.
- Tiny KeyCounter - so you can prove that you did something productive today.
- Minesweeper. Great game, stimulates the mind, and gives you a wonderful distraction.

Source Control
I personally use a Visual SourceSafe database via VSSConnect for one of my jobs, as it is required. In my day job I use the "burn an unhealthy ass-load of CDs" code archival system, which, while slightly less elegant and convenient, is still effective for my single-developer environment. However, you can get free/cheap solutions like CVS, Subversion, and others via the internet. Even if you work alone, source control is incredibly handy. If you've ever gotten half way through refactoring a module and figured out you messed it all up, and your most recent backup is three weeks old, you know what it means to need source control. No developer should be without it.

Hardware
- Decent video cards (GF4Ti4800 and Radeon X800XL at home) that support high resolutions
- Dual TFTs at home, dual CRTs at work, 7-foot LCD projector screen at home
- Comfortable keyboards and mice
- A good chair (don't underestimate this!)
- Decent internet connection; the internet is an integral part of my work
- And of course peripherals like food, music, and caffiene

Having an ergonomic, comfortable workplace is invaluable. You can usually set up a nice workspace for very little money, too, which is a bonus. Things like dual monitors might be excessive, but if you do any serious time coding, they become a priceless asset. I can't imagine life with just one monitor anymore, and I know many others who say the same. In any case, good monitors that don't cause eyestrain headaches, blood spewing from your cranium, etc. are vital for long-haul coding sessions. If your body can't comfortably sit around and code for six hours, your mind can't, either.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!