• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Max_Payne

Random Points on a Polygon

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am wondering about something. I want to choose random points over a convex polygon. By averaging the coordinates of the vertices with random weights (random linear combination), is it guaranteed that the point is going to be inside the convex n-gon? Is that guarantee present at least for triangles? What is the best technique to obtain random points on a polygon?

Advertisement
http://apodeline.free.fr/FAQ/CGAFAQ/CGAFAQ-7.html

Quote:

7.5 : How can I generate a random point inside a triangle?

Use barycentric coordinates (see item 53) . Let A, B, C be the three vertices of your triangle. Any point P inside can be expressed uniquely as P = aA + bB + cC, where a+b+c=1 and a,b,c are each >= 0. Knowing a and b permits you to calculate c=1-a-b. So if you can generate two random numbers a and b, each in [0,1], such that their sum <=1, you've got a random point in your triangle. Generate random a and b independently and uniformly in [0,1] (just divide the standard C rand() by its max value to get such a random number.) If a+b>1, replace a by 1-a, b by 1-b. Let c=1-a-b. Then aA + bB + cC is uniformly distributed in triangle ABC: the reflection step a=1-a; b=1-b gives a point (a,b) uniformly distributed in the triangle (0,0)(1,0)(0,1), which is then mapped affinely to ABC. Now you have barycentric coordinates a,b,c. Compute your point P = aA + bB + cC.

Reference: [Gems I], Turk, pp. 24-28.

For a general polygon, perhaps add points randomly (from a total set) based on area of each triangle and total polygon area (ratio):

Example: polygon composed of 2 triangles-

TotalArea = AreaTri1 + AreaTri2

pointCount1 = numPoints*AreaTri1/TotalArea
pointCount2 = numPoints*AreaTri2/TotalArea

Generate random points for each triangle using the above counts.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!