Found this great new algorithm called surface solutions!!

Started by
8 comments, last by _DarkWIng_ 18 years, 10 months ago
Whoa, I just found this website with a great looking algorithm called surface solutions, check it out! http://www.m3corp.com/a/products/ssmaps.htm Damn, if that's the kind of improvement surface solutions have over bump mapping, everyone should put it in their programs asap! He even has some sample surface solutions textures under the 'free stuff' section: I can't wait to add this to my programs! (yes, this post is a joke. No, the website isn't...sadly. Oh, and thanks for the laughs Promit) By the way, does anyone have any idea what kind of algorithm he's using with his so-called "bump maps"? [Edited by - Cypher19 on June 12, 2005 11:54:28 PM]
Advertisement
Fixed the link.
Quote:Original post by Cypher19
By the way, does anyone have any idea what kind of algorithm he's using with his so-called "bump maps"?

probably normal maps
Intruger: Nonono, he says this image from the first link is bump mapping:

well, yeah, it looks like it.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Bump maps... data... only one direction...

:: Head asplode ::

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by Cypher19
By the way, does anyone have any idea what kind of algorithm he's using with his so-called "bump maps"?

Well, there's a tutorial about using "Surface Solutions" textures here: http://www.m3corp.com/a/tutorials/ornamentals.htm

Uhhh...it looks like he's just putting his RGB texture in the Bump Map slot of a 3dsmax material. And if memory serves correctly, this will just be converted to gray-scale at render time. So...standard bump mapping.

Apparently, what he's "discovered" is that by having more variation in his bump map other than pure black/white, he'll get smoother bumps. I don't have the heart to tell him he could do the same thing with his gray-scale maps. He seems so proud of his "Surface Solutions" ;)

-John
- John
That's hilarious, he has just described normal maps :)
*shrugs*

I've reinvented the wheel too on a few occasions...

When I first started doing 3d graphics I didnt understand matrices but was good with geometry so I based everything off a vector library I made
Then realized later that this 'triplet of vectors' I so commonly use was essentially a matrix...
If anything it made me understand linear algebra really well... rederiveing it from base concepts instead of memorizing what the textbooks tried to tell me
Quote:Original post by haphazardlynamed
I've reinvented the wheel too on a few occasions...

We all did at some moment... (I reinvented using finite-distances/sobel for calculation of normals on heightmap)

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement