• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aaron_ds

Whats this called?

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

struct A{
  A(int i):i(i){}
  int i;
};
struct B{
  B(A a):a(a){}
  A a;
};
int main() {
  B b(1);
  return 0;
}

b.a.i is equal to 1 I'm using mingw 3.4.2 and I've heard mention of stuff like this being done. Does anyone know the name of this feature and can it be expanded in any way? Passing in only one value can be restricting. Or, is this a terrible obfustication of C++?

Advertisement
Its pretty weird, but its legal. It will just initialize B's "A" structure so that it has its "i" value equal to one. Kind of obfuscated, but it doesn't matter really cause it gets the job done well, cleanly, and in one line of code. Just make sure to comment it!

[EDIT] Sorry, forgot. Don't think its a "feature" per se... are you talking about this

A(int new_i)
: i(new_i) //This part??

Are you refering to the "Initialization Lists"?

It's a normal, standard feature. It allows you to call specific constructors for member variables before entering the constructor itself (which is faster if the compiler dosn't optimise some things), as well as calling specific constructors on the object's parent (which can't be done any other way).

Sorry for not being so clear. Its not the initializer lists. I use them regularly.
I was wondering about the passing of a value and having it automatically constructed and then passed to the function.

Does this have a proper name?

Oh, ok [smile].

What you are refering to is called an "implicit conversion" (the integer 1 is implicitly converted to an object of type A).

If you want to avoid it, put the keyword "explicit" in front of your constructor for A.

Ahh, cool. Actually I was wondering if there is anyway I can expand on implicit conversion. Is there anyway I can pass more than one parameter or is that the extent of this feature?

afaik, it's virtually interchangeable with
B b=1;
Although in the code you posted there is no call to the assignment operator, thus no copying takes place. It should be slightly more optimal in general I think, but wont make a lick of difference in this case.

Quote:
Original post by aaron_ds
Ahh, cool. Actually I was wondering if there is anyway I can expand on implicit conversion. Is there anyway I can pass more than one parameter or is that the extent of this feature?

You can only implicitly convert a single variable. You must explicitly call constructors with more than one argument.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!