• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What "threshold" means in Lempel-Ziv algorithm?

This topic is 4726 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've google'd for this stuff and already found some info. But, I want to ensure that my interpretation is right. To my understanding, the threshold word used by LZH or other dictionary compression algorithm explanation/specification means the minimum number of match-length in bytes, i.e. the minimum number of bytes that match within the dictionary and the bytes in the current look-ahead buffer that have to be "surpassed" to carry-out the "encoding". So, if the match-length is less than the threshold, the phrase in the look-ahead buffer won't be encoded, but will stay as literal in the compression result. Is this correct? There must be some compression guru around here to help me ;) PS: sorry for the bad english

Advertisement
Usually this is correct. The threshold is the minimum match-length and every phrase of below this length stays a literal.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!