• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SelethD

Im having RichEdit trouble

This topic is 4878 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im trying to get a RichEdit 2.0 control box working. I tried making it myself with the CreateWindowEx function, but it always fails with error number 1400. So then I tried using the Resource editor in Visual Studio, to make a dialog box with a rich edit control. The dialog fails to create with the rich edit control, but works without the rich edit control. So what am I doing wrong? Im using VC++ .net on Win XP Thanks I forgot to add I have the InitCommonControls() as the first command in WinMain Is this perhaps in the wrong place?

Advertisement
Richedits are different from the other common controls because you have to call LoadLibrary() to actually use them. To initialize a Richedit 2.0 control you need to load Riched20.dll. For example:

// To use other common controls
InitCommonControls();

HANDLE hriched = LoadLibrary("Riched20.dll");

if (hriched == 0) {
// Error! Do something!
}

HWND hwnd = CreateWindow(RICHEDIT_CLASS, ...);

// At the end of your program you might as well free the Riched20.dll
FreeLibrary(hriched);

Wow! Thanks a million.

I have searched all day and nothing ever mentioned loading the library.

Your a code saver!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!