Indie Game Magazine: Issue 1

Started by
8 comments, last by jdavis 18 years, 10 months ago
You can now read the first issue of the Indie Game Magazine. It is located here: http://www.gaminghours.com/magazines/igm/july05.pdf tell me what you think cheers
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
Advertisement
Hey, this is pretty neat spacemonkeystudios, I really like to see people who support indie developers.

I have a few recomendations for your next issue though.

-Have an .html version. .pdf is fine, but others might not be able to load that file format.
-Use thumbnails for pictures. Just keeps things consistant and looking nice. Again, this would be an advantage of creating the newsletter in html.

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching for the next issue. Keep us posted.

:)
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
Cheers!

The only problem with an .html is that it wont feel like a magazine.

I'll have a play around with some stuff and see the best way, but .pdf is the standard for this sort of thing so im not sure.
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
nice!
Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
Trust me, you can get it to "feel" like a mag. You just need to use some clever CSS, then you can adjust enough items to really make it work (leading, absolute positioning, etc.) Mind you it will take some clever work, but once you have the framework done it should be a cakewalk.
Quote:Original post by Basic
.pdf is
evil

And Adobe Acrobat reader is the biggest POS known to man; IMHO anyways. :) I too vote for an HTML edition, because I hate PDF and usually refuse to even view them unless there is no other alternative. (However, I am checking this out)

Okay finished reading it. If your serious about continuing this as a serious project I have soem constructive criticism:

You have no real content. No reason for people to ever want to pick this up again. Making big text doesn't replace having a lot of text. eg: Mod of the month. This is great, especially if for the lesser known guys. But how did I benefit from reading the article? You didn't tell me anything. You could have done a better summary of the mod, and then interview the people who made them. Just make a standard questionaire, and have them fill it out interview style.

What was your insparation to make the mod?
Why did you make the mod?
How did you go about making the mod?
How has your mod been received by the community?
What went right?
What went wrong?
What would you do different if you did it all again?
What are your future modding plans?
Any closing comments?

And add in anything else you can think to ask them on a per author basis. That would make for a great article every month, and I would definately check them out.

Do something similar with the previews. Let us get in the minds of the people making their projects. We could learn a lot from what they have to say, even if their project never comes to completion, we will have gotten something out of the article. They may have learned invaluble lessons while trying to solve the problems most indy coders will bump into at one time or another, and they can pass it onto the community.

[Edited by - Vampyre_Dark on June 16, 2005 5:13:33 PM]
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
And Adobe Acrobat reader is the biggest POS known to man;

RealPlayer.

Quote:Original post by GroZZleR
RealPlayer.

Hah. I concur ;).

I like it, but as said before, I think it needs more actual content. Good job though. :)

Lol, RealPlayer is useless. :)

Anyway, try to keep as little whitespace as possible. Although it's not a big deal, users will get tired of scrolling a lot.
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
How and what is required to get an article written on one of my projects?

Thank you,
Jonathon Davis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement