GDNet at the Movies: May The Farce Be With You

Started by
43 comments, last by Nemesis2k2 18 years, 10 months ago
Having now seen all six Star Wars movies, I can confidently assert that the entire franchise is rubbish. My biggest gripe is with the depiction of The Force, that innate energy that moves within all things, that power that animates all - that overlooked, underutilized skill that logically renders about 60% of the film superfluous. This error is at its worst in the new (old) trilogy of Episodes I through III, where Jedi powers were at their peak due to several generations of reasonable numbers of Jedi having advanced the arts. If, in the old trilogy, Darth Vader can stop laser blasts with his hands, why do we have all this light saber twirling in the new? (Obvious answer: it looks "cool".) How do "ray shields" contain two Jedi? How do the Jedi wave doors open and so forth, but they can't command an elevator to rise without a three-foot utility droid? Further, the Jedi, who are positioned as "good" and obviously to be venerated, are rife with hypocrisy and inconsistency: Mace Windu states the Palpatine is "too dangerous to live," in direct opposition to "the Jedi Way," as Anakin challenges him; they urge - nay, mandate - an absence of attachment and emotion, yet consistently instruct the young Jedi to "use his feelings"; they place Anakin on the Council, but refuse to make him a Master - acquiescing yet refeusing the Chancellor's manipulations, playing into his hand in the manipulation of young Skywalker - and they couldn't detect any of this with the Force? (I can't resist drawing parallels between the Jedi's repression of attachment leading to the creation of Darth Vader and the near-destruction of the order and the Catholic priesthood's similarly disastrous consequences. Surplus repression of natural instincts is not discipline; it's dangerous.) Stylistically, the three new films adhere to conventions that worked for the original (largely because it was a low-budget "B" feature), but grate against the sensibilities of the contemporary viewer - such as the variety of stupid wipes employed for scene transitions and the frenzied character movement and pacing (like an episode of the Adam West Batman TV series). At the end of the day, Star Wars is an exercise in the creation of classic, campy kitsch; the subsequent marketing of a boatload of crap nobody needs; and the destruction of the romance of all through exceedingly bad filmmaking. Grade: Meh
Advertisement
ok.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
star wars sucks.

let the rate--; from all the uber gamedev geeks commence [rolleyes]
Good 'Science Fiction', just like good 'Fantasy', is inherently hard to make. The main reason behind this being that the character are able to perform incredible feats. It follows that normal obstacles become useless.

Some devices are used to circumvent that and "balance things out", such as:

1) Some kind of fatal weakness (Superman)
2) Everyone is uber powerful (Typical of fantasy and D&D)
3) Some moral limitations regarding the powers. (Can't remember on the top of my head).
4) The fear of being overwhelmed by the powers. (The Wheel of Time)

But all of them are cliché, and just don't work anymore. Some authors resist the power-trip and have decent, normal characters in a sci-fi setting. Those are the ones I enjoy the most. Enough with superheroes.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Star Wars is just on the quite ok side... not good, but not too bad.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, George Lucas is a hack. His movies are hack work. He has a wonderfully creative and imaginitive mind, but there is no talent in writing, character crafting, directing, screenplay, or any other facet of movies worth mentioning. Star Wars, in the hands of another, would be much better off. But it's not, and likely never will be, so you have to take it for face value, which is EXACTLY the kind of campy entertainment bullfrog you mentioned.

I still love them, because they're fun, and the ideas behind them are inspiring enough to spawn some imaginative exploration. I don't much care that Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill and Natalie Portman and Hayden Christianson couldn't act out their horrible script. It doesn't bother me that the flashing of lightsabers is there to cover up the lack of substance in the movie. If I want a meaningful, artistic film, I know better than to see Star Wars. I hope you do too... Beyond Episode 4, the intended "B" movie, they were intended to be blockbusters. Blockbusters = good movie? Not usually.
Yeah, the movies are mediocre, but not everything in the whole franchise is crap. Some of the books are okay, and "The Clone Wars" cartoon was awesome.

If you want to talk about the atrocities George Lucas has committed, lets talk LucasArts. Those Star Wars games can be really, really bad.
Where does all this B movie crap come in?

In the unrevised version of the original trilogy, the suspension of disbelief was there. Everything looked real. The deathstar, the xwing models, all of that. Compared to the star trek movies which came later, the model work was incredible.

The Battle of Endor in episode 6 had upwards of 30 models in a scene at times. And it still looked awsome. It looked real.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
Where does all this B movie crap come in?
Episode IV. It was low-budget; it went over budget; allegedly the original final edit was lost in a taxi, requiring a re-edit; it wasn't exactly spectacular looking; it didn't have the studio backing of an "A" feature ("'B' movie" actually means the film was intended to supplement an "'A' feature," from when going to the movies was an all-day affair and involved lots of double features; the term discarded other connotations, leaving "low-budget" only, after the general demise of the double feature)... Episodes V and VI were not B movies because IV had been so wildly, and unexpectedly, successful from a financial point of view.
...Just pointing that Vader can't deflect blaster shots with his hands, just with armor shielded prosthetic arms. The force is supposed to only allow his to predict where the blasts hit, there was light saber reflecting on the first (IV-VI) movies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement