frame buffer access in windows

Started by
7 comments, last by TM 23 years, 4 months ago
I''m kind of a newbie when it comes to windows programming... but can someone tell me how to program a full screen app and access the frame buffer directly? I just wanna fool around trying to make cool fx using only software (maybe mmx), just like the old days with 13h mode...
Advertisement
there are basically two ways to do this. use DirectX or write your own display driver "VxD".
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
What''s the easiest way? I guess DX... but will I need special libraries or h files (using MSVC)?
What about writing vxd''s, how hard is that?
Don''t even think about writing your own display driver. You will have to write a different one for each type of graphics card.

Instead, DirectX is a good way to go. You should have got a version on DirectX with MSVC, just use that to set up a display (see the MSDN documentation on DirectDraw) which you can write to directly.

hey,guys...

Well,using the DirectDraw is the best way to solve this problem,with it,you can access the memory in the display-cards (usually called VRAM) directly,so fast,so good,and so easy--the only you should do is creating a surface,and then placeing the stuff you want to place it on the screen into the sufface(so easy eh?)...

And the VxD? oh,my god! it is so difficult to write,so difficult to debug,so...and it is very easy to crash your system...

Therefore,the DirectDraw is the best choice for you,guy

Good luck!
============================= Hey,I just wanna know WHY! =============================
How DO you write VxD''s anyways???

------------------------
CRAZY_DUSIK* pCrazyDuSiK;
pCrazyDuSiK->EatMicroshaft(MS_MUCH_BILL_GATES | MS_CHEW_BILL_GATES);
------------------------CRAZY_DUSIK* pCrazyDuSiK = new CRAZY_DUSIK;pCrazyDuSiK->EatMicroshaft(MS_MUNCH_BILL_GATES | MS_CHEW_BILL_GATES);pCrazyDuSiK->WebSiteURL = "http://www.geocities.com/dusik2000";
Anyone got some good references for a quick start with DirectDraw?
Hey, TM, they have some pretty decent tutotials here. I''d really suggest looking at the sample code (even though MS code IS kinda messy).

Also, if you want, I can send you a chunk of my old DX7 code. It''s part 2D part 3D, but you can fish the 2D out of it.

Just make sure you don''t use DX8 for 2D That''s stupid

------------------------
pCrazyDuSiK->EatMicroshaft(MS_MUNCH_BILL_GATES | MS_CHEW_BILL_GATES);
------------------------CRAZY_DUSIK* pCrazyDuSiK = new CRAZY_DUSIK;pCrazyDuSiK->EatMicroshaft(MS_MUNCH_BILL_GATES | MS_CHEW_BILL_GATES);pCrazyDuSiK->WebSiteURL = "http://www.geocities.com/dusik2000";
Errr... forgot to add:

e-mail me at dusik2000@yahoo.com if you want the code

------------------------
pCrazyDuSiK->EatMicroshaft(MS_MUNCH_BILL_GATES | MS_CHEW_BILL_GATES);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement