• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How hard is multiplayer?

This topic is 4726 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I got some experience, but not in multiplayer-coding. How big of an issue is it really? If I use some premade-stuff like directplay maybe or similar? Would it be very hard to add support for it in a game which is already capable of handling several players? Thanks for any tips or lections. Suliman

Advertisement
In my experience, it is VERY HARD to implement multiplayer in a game that wasn't designed for it. Better designing it as multiplayer from the ground up.+

Quote:

In my experience, it is VERY HARD to implement multiplayer in a game that wasn't designed for it. Better designing it as multiplayer from the ground up.+

that is very true, I have had bad experience when doing that. But at least you know your game works before you start your multiplayer

Jake

i had to re-write my asteroids game to cleanly/neatly add multiplayer support...

but tbh it was poor planning in the first place.

also, what kind of game are we talking about here?

I think it depends on the game. Adding multiplayer to a tic tac toe game should be relatively simple. Anything real time is a pain the ass and will take alot of work. I tried adding multiplayer to my pong game. it works, but not very well and i spent a solid month coding it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!