How hard is multiplayer?

Started by
4 comments, last by chad_420 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi I got some experience, but not in multiplayer-coding. How big of an issue is it really? If I use some premade-stuff like directplay maybe or similar? Would it be very hard to add support for it in a game which is already capable of handling several players? Thanks for any tips or lections. Suliman
Advertisement
I suggest you read through the FAQ for the Multiplayer and Networking forum; it points at some good starting points.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
In my experience, it is VERY HARD to implement multiplayer in a game that wasn't designed for it. Better designing it as multiplayer from the ground up.+
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:
In my experience, it is VERY HARD to implement multiplayer in a game that wasn't designed for it. Better designing it as multiplayer from the ground up.+

that is very true, I have had bad experience when doing that. But at least you know your game works before you start your multiplayer

Jake
i had to re-write my asteroids game to cleanly/neatly add multiplayer support...

but tbh it was poor planning in the first place.

also, what kind of game are we talking about here?
-www.freewebs.com/tm1rbrt -> check out my gameboy emulator ( worklog updated regularly )
I think it depends on the game. Adding multiplayer to a tic tac toe game should be relatively simple. Anything real time is a pain the ass and will take alot of work. I tried adding multiplayer to my pong game. it works, but not very well and i spent a solid month coding it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement