[web] Web page not rendering on some browsers

Started by
9 comments, last by JohnHurt 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I've created a website and tested it on IE 6 and Firefox, however, some people are reporting difficulties in viewing it. So, if you can take a look, and if you have any trouble, post your browser and version, plus OS. Many thanks. Click Here
Advertisement
Looks good on Safari.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
I'm pretty sure that the problem might be with the AOL browser, but I havent been able to test this as yet.
It appears to validate so whoever says it doesn't work is using a stupid browser [smile].
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Bear in mind that the most problematic browsers are usually IE - mostly IE 5.0 and 5.5 (which still have quite a large install base).

There is something called a "Standalone IE" distribution - it's unofficial but works well for testing. You can get this for IE5.0 and IE5.5

There are a lot more layout bugs in those than IE6 - specifically they have various CSS bugs which are either fixed in IE6, or are retained as "Features" for documents which specify a document type of earlier than HTML4 (I discovered such a CSS feature last week).

Anyway - try it in IE5.5 and 5.0 - if you can get it to work in those, good.

IE on the Mac is problematic, but only if your site uses &#106avascript or "dynamic HTML" type things - otherwise, it's just as bad as (an earlier version of) IE on Windows.

I also discovered last week that certain complicated table layouts, with elements with style height="100%", seem to cause elements to disappear entirely in IE - I still don't know why, but removing the superfluous "height:100%" in the CSS fixed it.

Mark
Thanks for that. I just downloaded standalone versions of IE 3, 4.01, 5.01 and 5.5 and the site appears in all of them. IE 3 admitedly does not support CSS, but the site is still viewable.

People are reporting that the main text appears white on the white background. One user has told me she was using the AOL browser, but then when I told her to try it in IE the page appeared correctly.

What rendering engine does AOL use? I always thought that it just hijacks whatever version of IE you have installed.

This is really quite irritating, because I've run my html and my css through the w3c validator. Who would make a browser that doesnt conform to these standards?
Any idea what version of AOL they're using?
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Version 9.0, but I cant test it without having an AOL account as far as I know.
Not a real problem at all (more of a nit-picky thing! so pay me no attention...), but the little box at the bottom w/ the "Website designed and maintained by Colin | Admin" links looks kinda funny (IMO) with the links hovering at the top, while there is a approx 10px space between the text and the bottom of the box.

Again, nothing world changing or important, and maybe it's just me...

Otherwise looks good!
Works fine in both Firefox and Opera for me.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement