How this game work?!

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I like to develop a small demo like Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island, but I have some question about how this games work. 1 - How the talk system work? There many questions and answers with many diferent results, how it work? 2 - How the object system work? I need to get, move, open, close, mix, how it work? 3 - Save? There many variables in the game, how I save then? My idea is, use scripts (Lua and XML) to chat and objects, but I need some Idea about how it work... Thanks
Advertisement
Your demo's won't be small if you want those features to be in it.

1. Will be alot of works since you need to make all the content for all the possible outcomes, unless you do this with external scripts. In the case of scripts, you need to make the interfase between inner workings of the application and the scripts them self.

2. This is all done within the game-engine itself. Meshes (the actual 3D object data) should be moved when ever some function gets called. Some meshes might need an animation (this is done in a proffesional modeling application, like Maya or 3ds Max), so when you open a chest, the actual top lifts from its bottompart.

3. This should be done in some structure which contains all data the game needs to load a game. The data itself should be saved in some file. It would be best if you encrypt the data first too, so players can't mesh easily with them.

If you want to work with Lua and/or XML, you need to make the bridge (also know as interfase) between your application and those Lua or XML files yourself.
You may want to check out Adventure Game Studio. It's an engine made spcifically for point-and-click adventure games. It sounds like you may want to do this yourself from scratch, but if nothing else, this might give you an idea of how others have done it.

Note: Site was down when writing this, but I was there yesterday, so it should be back up soon I would think!

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Thanks for the replies,

This part I know, I'm not a beginer :D, I'm working in my OGL game engine and I like to create a small demo to test some features (graphic (3D map and 2D characters and objects), sound (OGG player and 3D sound) and mouse input).

I work with lua and I'm reading about XML now, but my problem is I don't know how begins in a game like this... :'C

I made some terrain engine demo, tile based demo and a tetris demo (I love Tetris :P), but this demos don't have all of the feature like point-and-click adventure games.

About Adventure Game Studio, the site is off-line I'll try later, I like to see this engine :D, I'll try to find some thing about it in google...

Thanks again
For the Multiple Options, you could create a tree or numerous if/else statements.

As for an object system, if you are using C++ you can probably have an Interactive Object which can be the base class for any interactive object in the game. For C, just use a state.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
I have this idea for the objects, I create the object with every options in XML, every object in game have a index number and put the object state in STL vector...

For example the player enter in room with object 10, the software search in STL for the object 10, if don't found the player never saw the object then put this object in STL with default value, else get the state from STL...

Thanks
I got Adventure Game Studio. Is very nice to start :)
I need to develop many tools :p

Thanks!
Aaarghhh I swear you read my mind. I've recently begun making an adventure game. It's really hard to come across information so you just sort of have to think about things a lot :P
Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island were the greatest game series to have ever been created. Why can't LucasArts do the stuff they use to be able to do?
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island were the greatest game series to have ever been created. Why can't LucasArts do the stuff they use to be able to do?

I'd second that, the monkey island games were genuinely funny, most attempts at comedy in games just sound stupid or corny, But DOTT and Monkey Island could have me in stitches!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement