• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MooMooCow

UAT or DigiPen

This topic is 4855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I have been accepted to both DigiPen and UAT for video game programming. I have everything set to start classes in September for UAT, but recently found out that I was accepted to DigiPen. I may be able to get everything ready to attend DigiPen before deadlines. I was woundering which one was considered better, and which one is more likely to gaurantee a job after I get a degree? I relize it may be hard to say which one is better, so any pros and cons would be great. Thank you in advance for your reply. [Edited by - MooMooCow on June 13, 2005 1:58:42 PM]

Advertisement
its not the schooling that gets you a job....its you...

only your knowledge and desire to be in the industry...wherever you go you must learn outside of what they teach you anyway to become a good programmer...so go wherever you want...you have to put in the same work now mater where you go and in the end only that will get you a job....

If what you said was true, then I would be able to go to a cosmotology school and eventually get Bill Gates job with no degree in technology what so ever. Does anyone have an opinion on DigiPen or UAT that attended or are attending one of them?

Tang is right, you'll have to invest a lot of work to make any kind of progress in becoming a good (game/software) developer, but you'll never become a good one if you think that you'll get to know everything by just attending some kind of courses or classes on this topic.
On a lot of university pages it is said that this sort of course, needs a lot of own initiative.

So you could also just study the ordinary software engineering course at any univeryity and become a really successfull game developer if you work with passion and a good will.

Just think about which place would be more adorable for you to study and things like that, in order to choose where you'll go.

cheers,
marcel

[Edit]The only thing I could think of is, that DigiPen has a more known name, but that's all and should not be crucial for you.
[/Edit]

I agree with the above posters but I also thing DigiPen might be a little better. I know a little bit more from their program and I have a course book and they seem like they know what they are doing there. Good luck with whatever you choose but just remember like they said above, you still have to learn stuff on your OWN outside of class.

It's obvious that's impossible to teach everything that is needed for game programming in a university, and that is also true for any kind of degree.
It's always up to the student to learn outside of the courses more about those subjects and also about other stuff that's related to the subjects that were given in the university... That's the only way to be good at something... Always wanting to know more...

But that's not the only thing that matters. Of course if you go to a better university the chances of getting a job are higher. Now, if the two are equivalent (like I believe those two are) what will matter is how good you really are.
And trust me, it's not the same thing going to a university where everybody is given high grades, and it's all easy and wonderfull, because it's not only the students that know that... Sometimes going to a better university, with more reputation and that's a lot tougher, will get you a job faster, than going to a easier university and getting high grades.

In this case, given that the two are equivalent, you should ponder about what's the best option for you given the factors of money, distance, time, etc...
Also, and more importantly, you should have a look to see which courses are given in both universities and see which are the teachers who give the courses, and make the choices primarly based on that.

Hope this helped you make a choice...

I attend full sail and its roughly 15000 a year not including housing or food or anythign but education and books and loaner laptop you can buy at the end of your program. However that sum is due within the first 5 months, or at least it was when i started...some schools are more...some are less.

Guest Anonymous Poster
As a UAT Grad, I'll say this: going to school at UAT will not guarantee you a job in the game industry. Unless you're already a talented programmer and you're looking to expand into the gaming field, a traditional school with a good software engineering program will serve you better.

Tang is right, only if you work hard and/or are quite talented, you will not have much of a shot in the game industry.

As for which one is better, I can't tell you. I only went to one of them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!