UAT or DigiPen

Started by
35 comments, last by JELLY Legend 18 years, 9 months ago
Thats what I said he drop out in college. I did research it before hand.
Advertisement
Last time i recall, there are still game developers that haven't attended college.

Degrees are usually icing on the cake. Would you choose someone who went to college, but doesn't have a lot of experience or someone who hasn't attended college but has a lot of experience.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
I'd choose someone who went to college and has a lot of experience to be totally honest; over both choices.
Quote:Original post by SumDude
Would you choose someone who went to college, but doesn't have a lot of experience or someone who hasn't attended college but has a lot of experience.

Neither.

Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Quote:Original post by jwalsh

Biography of Bill Gates

FFS People!! Just do a little research instead of guessing. ;)

Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer were both at Harvard together when they dropped out.

I was stating what I had read on the internet. I'm pretty sure that it said that Microsoft was owned by a man that didn't even finish highschool and the country was run by a college dropout.
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
I was stating what I had read on the internet.

Your first mistake. :p
Heh. I must disagree with the majority of posters here. Schools do matter. If nothing else, a better school with better professors, better textbooks, better students, better curriculum will provide far more resources for you to use.

If one person is totally dedicated to learning, and so is their identical twin, and the only difference is that one twin goes to Podunk U, and the other goes to say... Stanford, do you -really- think they'll come out with the same level of ability? The Podunk U student will have to spend that extra time and energy finding resources, or learning more from poor ones, whereas the one at Stanford sees good resources every day.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about either school, so can't help you there. Good luck, and have fun though. Networking with the people you have fun with is more likely to land you a job than dedicated study anyways. </cynic>
While I do agree that the most important factor is one's own desire and motivation, having gone to a particularly bad school myself I believe that the schools do matter. Maybe they don't in terms of getting a game industry job, I don't know. But they do matter in terms of making you an educated, well rounded person. The goal should not be only to get into the game industry in my opinion, you should strive to be the best educated person that you can be. Knowledge is its own reward, but even beyond that it gives you more alternatives. What if you decide you don't want to be in the gaming industry after all? With a game development degree, you've just put yourself in an uncomfortable position. Not so with a computer science degree.
Quote:Original post by Ikana
With a game development degree, you've just put yourself in an uncomfortable position. Not so with a computer science degree.

I have to disagree with this comment (on the programming side anyway.) Everything that I've learned from has been geared toward game development, but I have no problems with any other type of programming. And if you know how to program correctly (by addressing the problem without using language syntax) then you should have no problem doing any kind of programming after getting a game development degree. This is just my opinion from my experience though.
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
Quote:Original post by Ikana
With a game development degree, you've just put yourself in an uncomfortable position. Not so with a computer science degree.

I have to disagree with this comment (on the programming side anyway.) Everything that I've learned from has been geared toward game development, but I have no problems with any other type of programming. And if you know how to program correctly (by addressing the problem without using language syntax) then you should have no problem doing any kind of programming after getting a game development degree. This is just my opinion from my experience though.

I second that.

Besides, theres a lot of areas where game development is used that are not necessarily game development.

Many people say get a general Computer Science degree, while this seems like a good idea for overall programming, and may be more flexible. What if you already know most of the general programming; this would seem like a waste of time. Not to mention theres those who will never really want to change their career path, it depends on how devoted they are.

It seems much more ideal to get a degree focused on what area of programming your interested in, besides later you can always get a Masters or PhD in computer science. The only really factor to consider is what type of person you are and what would you feel more comfortable with.

[Edited by - DevLiquidKnight on June 14, 2005 4:09:25 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement