• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Drew_Benton

[web] Free PHP IDE's?

This topic is 4874 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone have any suggestions on free PHP-supported editing IDEs? I will not have my dev computer for another week and I need something nice and free to run off a Celeron 633 mhz. I have Frontpage, but it doesn't like PHP at all, it refuses to recognize it as html. All I need is something I can open a .PHP file with and have a preview like Dreamweaver/FrontPage. I'm not doing all php content, mostly just html, but right now saving a page as a .html for updating, then saving it as a .php file for uploading, then re-saving as a .html file for FrontPage to recognize it is just not cutting it right now. Thanks for any help! [Edited by - Drew_Benton on June 23, 2005 3:10:17 PM]

Advertisement
Well...notepad+IE? I mean, it doesn't get much more minimalist than that...any of several notepad replacements (I like Notepad2 and Programmer's Notepad) will give you syntax highlighting.

Hehe, well I was doing this before: NotePad + WinSCP + FireFox. What I would do is select the 'Keep remote directory up to date' option in WinSCP, so every time I saved it in NotePad, I can go to FF and see the changes. That works, but I'm a frequent saver and I'd rather be able to see it in real-time rather than have to go though that process.

I guess I'm just looking for a way to view HTML files that are named .PHP [wink] Thanks though for those other programs, I'll take a look at them. Does anyone else know if this is possible, or should I just develop with HTML and then do a mass rename in the end [lol].

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on June 23, 2005 3:56:25 PM]

I'm partial to PHP Designer 2005. I was using notepad+firefox for the longest time, but when working on a 1200 line file, notepad becomes impractical.
The feature I find most useful is its syntax highlighting. It will highlight PHP, Html, SQL, and God knows what else. Very useful, very Free.

linky linkerson

Thanks Aaron_ds, it has everytime I need, the localhost preview [smile] Now that I think about it I feel kinda dumb, I guess I could have just downloaded PHP to my computer and used that so I wouldn't have to upload to a PHP server everytime [headshake] Oh well, thanks! r++. This product previews so much better than front page anyways!

Perhaps an entry can be made into the FAQ for this [wink]

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on June 23, 2005 3:01:34 PM]

If you can find a copy of it, I'd suggest using DreamWeaver. It has an amazing FTP extension as well as perfect PHP colour coding. Many people won't use such a thing because they think you're stuck using the design view, but they are incorrect. I never use the WYSIWYG editor in it, and it has been amazing.

FrontPage recognises ASP, so if you have PHP set up to allow it you can use ASP tags <% %> around your code. However, my web host allows both ASP and PHP, and that method doesn't work, so instead I use <script language="php"> </script> tags, which do work. (Of course, this all depends on how PHP is set up on the server). Of course, this does confuse FrontPage still, so I do have code blocks like this:
<script language="php">
    echo "<script>window.location=\"redirect.htm\";</script>";#<script>
</script>

...but it works, to some extent. FrontPage is perfect for me, because I can just double-click the .PHP file, edit, then click "Save" and it saves it on the server. Of course, you can get PHP files to open in an external editor if you edit the settings in FrontPage, but if you trick it using the above methods it plays fairly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!