• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GhostAce

Mesh rendering managment

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a some questions about designing a rendering system. At this moment I have my small engine. The idea for the design was to have one internal mesh format and materials with some features like multipass rendering, shaders etc. For this moment I am able to describe materials and material/shader input in script files, load it and call rendering function with mesh and material as parameters. By now I am only able to draw single objects. Is this possible to use this system for big game levels ? is this going to be efficient (I mean rendering a level as a huge number of separate objects - with some HSR optimization of course), or should I have a specialized rendering functions for entire levels? ---- I also have some doubts about grouping meshes by materials. I can think about approach that traverses the scene graph and builds lists of meshes for a specific material, and after this it renders every mesh on every list. But I've red that scene graphs shouldn't be involved to material sorting. So how to desing efficient material grouping system? thanks for your time

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!