• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Dark SDK vs Doing it myself

This topic is 4725 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I have been using darkbasic for a few months, and its very very easy to write 3d programs, but there is still much left to be desired. So i am considering either buying the dark sdk, or buying a few books on direct x and then typing in the directx my self. If you have used the dark sdk, which do you think would yield the best results, both quality and reliability wise? http://darkgamesdk.thegamecreators.com/

Advertisement
That would all depend on your skills in other languages. Dark Basic is a rad tool. You could get better results in C++ but if you don't know C++ there will be a large learning gap between the two. The thing with dark basic is, you get immediate results, and for a hobbiest that can be a great thing. With C++ you wind up writing lots of code for very minimal results.

If you don't know C++, I'd recommend going to the book store and flipping through some books and try to find one that is your style. Take a look and see if it's something you are interested in. Try doing some of the tutorials. I wouldn't try to jump into directx (or 3d) from darkbasic with a small knowledge of C++ as that is too much of a gap. Unless maybe you use the darksdk as you would already understand the api.

i learned some c++ in my programming class, it focused mainly on JAVA though, but they are pretty close in syntax. I am making a black jack game that i started last night, ill post it here with the source when i finish it, maybe tomorrow if I have time. I think that I just need a bit more practice in c++ before moving into DX, but time is not an issue.

well here is the source, you can get the general idea. There are still a few bugs I need to fix.

Source

This is the convert.h

// File: convert.h
#include <iostream>
#include <sstream>
#include <string>
#include <stdexcept>

class BadConversion : public std::runtime_error {
public:
BadConversion(const std::string& s)
: std::runtime_error(s)
{ }
};

inline std::string stringify(double x)
{
std::ostringstream o;
if (!(o << x))
throw BadConversion("stringify(double)");
return o.str();
}

If you want to start using C++, then might I suggest NeHe. It's not DirectX (it's OpenGL), but it's very easy to learn with the tutorials (and you don't need to go buying books and such).

Alternativly, you could consider making games in Java, seeing as you know it, and it's probably eaiser than C++ while being more powerful than DarkBasic. Most of the early (which are what you'll need) NeHe tutorials are translated to Java.

You might also consider Python (NeHe's early lessons are translated to this as well). Alternitivly you can use Python with PyGame which is a step up from DarkBasic as well, while still being eaiser than C++ or Java.

Quote:
If you have used the dark sdk, which do you think would yield the best results, both quality and reliability wise?

I didn't use either Dark Basic or Blitz Basic, but I've heard good things about Blitz.

well i just bought two books.

1.)"Sams Teach Your Self c++ in 24 hours"
2.)"Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus"

Both books look VERY good, i would reccomend both to anyone.

The second book even came with a free version of VC++ 6.0, but it is the "Introductory version so anytime you run a program you made it has a pop up box that says the lisences does not allow for redistribution, but then the program runs.

I will just see if I can upgrade my lisences after I get the hang of c++.

I skipped the 1st 6 chapters because I knew that stuff already, right now im on Pointers, and I just finished Classes and Advanced Classes. A bit confusing, but im not expecting to understand it fully in 2 hours, ill have to practice :-)

great choice. I'm sure you'll find that learning how to program by applying it to only games will make it all so much more motivational.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!