• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

PocketPC Game Engine

This topic is 4725 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm pretty new to the Pocket PC development world... I've google'd a bit, but couldn't find any Pocket PC Game Engines... from what I could find, Pocket PCs run OpenGL ES? Are there any game engines that support it? the best would be an hybrid OpenGL on PC and ES on PPC. Thanks for your time Eric

Advertisement
PocketPC's don't have OpenGL ES, far as I know. While there might be some with 3D hardware in 'em, the vast majority are just a 2D framebuffer that you access by old fashioned DIBSections or GAPI (which is a small library to give you reasonably fast 2D framebuffer access).

As for engines, there are a few, mostly ports of Windows stuff. If you want 3D, your best bet is probably Doom and Quake, both of which have been ported to PocketPC.

If you want 2D, I know that SDL, GAPIDraw, WxWidgets, and Flash 6 all run on PocketPC's.

Thanks for the fast reply

I bought online a Dell Axim X50v (still haven't received it) and from what I saw on various sites I thought for sure it had 3D acceleration.

I'll check out the engines you mentionned.

Thanks

Eric

Quote:

I thought for sure it had 3D acceleration.

You thought correctly. The x50 does have 3d acceleration via an intel 2700G graphics chip and supports open gl es as its graphics API.

Alan

Quote:
Original post by xEricx
Cool thanks, I'll read more about OpenGL ES.
If that's the case, keep an eye on Gamedev's own Dave & Kevin. They had an "OpenGL ES for Beginner's" book on the horizon if it's not out already.

Cool, I might check that out, but I try to stay away from "for beginners" books as much as possible :)

I think Khronos have their standard online, I'll check that out

Thanks for the tip though

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!