Industry Standards for texturing terrain...

Started by
4 comments, last by zealotgi 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello I'm a real newb at 3d modeling so if this sounds stupid, give me a break ;) I have been searching the web on how to properly texture terrain in games, and there are so many results that I'm not sure on which method I should use. What is the current standard, or choosen method on texturing terrain in the gaming industry? I have heard of using vertex paint, and using multi/sub-object mapping, but am not sure what is the most memory efficient to use in a small 3d game.
---------------------------------The Shadow Sun - Want Your Writing Exposed?
Advertisement
there was a cool article about texture splatting around here, might interest ya. What kind of terrain are ya using, that might help ya figure out howto texture it.
Quote:Original post by chad_420
there was a cool article about texture splatting around here, might interest ya. What kind of terrain are ya using, that might help ya figure out howto texture it.

Well, I remember reading that one, but it requires Pixel Shader compatibility with your graphics card, and I'm developing more for the less fortunate of us who don't have high-end nVidia cards.

The type of terrain that I'm making is just normal terrain, like rock and grass, but I wanted to blend the two in certain areas, to make a more organic feel. I have heard of Vertex paint in 3dsmax, but can't really figure out how to put it into DirectX program. I have worked on Mods of games created in DirectX, that work without Pixel Shaders, and used the vertex paint option almost always, but it doesn't seem to import right in DirectX.

Any suggestions?
Come on! 100 views and nobody knows?

All I need is a memory efficient way to texture the terrain...
Texture splatting does not require pixel shaders, atleast not using OpenGL. It's basically redrawing the same terrain polys over for each terrain texture (one pass for grass, another first dirt, another for gravel, etc), and using multitexturing to set the alpha values for each texture from an alpha map of the same size of the terrain (eg: a 32x32 vertice terrain would require a 32x32 alpha map for each texture).

Since most video cards are optimized to push the same set of vertices again very quickly, the technique is perfect for most newer video cards.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----Version: 3.12GCS/M/S d->+(++) s+: a19? C++++ UL++ P+++ L+ !E W+++ N+ o++ K? w!O M-- V? !PS PE Y+ PGP t++ 5+++ X R tv+> b+(++)>+++ DI+++>+++++ D++G e>++++ h! r y?------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Is there a way to accomplish this through other means, like 3ds max, instead of coding? That would require a lot of coding :|

[Edited by - zealotgi on June 15, 2005 11:17:11 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement