Why cant the devs make a good skill-based game

Started by
10 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 10 months ago
With all the level-based games flooding the MMORPG market, why cant the devs just make a good skill based medieval MMORPG.
Advertisement
When you say "skill based" do you mean Morrowind Skill based or FPS kindof player Skill based?
I am talking about a next-generation Ultima Online. lol.
So you're talking about a game that uses skills to define the player instead of class/race? Or am I missing something.

And Ultima online is still around.

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Why can't devs make a copy of an existing game, but add better graphics, you mean? They probably could. Copying something that exists is easy, but it might not be the most satisfying thing to do, it might get you sued, and, well, UO is tiny compared to many newer MMOG's. Why would you copy something that has a hard time holding on to its players? (Other than a small harcore clique)

How do you convince a publisher that they should fund your amazing idea to "make a MMOG that already exists, and doesn't really attract new players. But we'll make better graphics!"

Anyway, why don't you just play the original UO?
Quote:Original post by Hawkins8

Darkfall Online supposedly is trying to be it... if it's still being worked on, that is.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Why can't devs make a copy of an existing game, but add better graphics, you mean? They probably could. Copying something that exists is easy, but it might not be the most satisfying thing to do, it might get you sued, and, well, UO is tiny compared to many newer MMOG's. Why would you copy something that has a hard time holding on to its players? (Other than a small harcore clique)

How do you convince a publisher that they should fund your amazing idea to "make a MMOG that already exists, and doesn't really attract new players. But we'll make better graphics!"

Anyway, why don't you just play the original UO?

Aren't those level-based MMOGs based off and copied from EQ? They sell ;)

While a refined EQ sells, why cant a refined UO be sound? That's my question.
Quote:Original post by tolaris

Darkfall Online supposedly is trying to be it... if it's still being worked on, that is.

i dont think the game is designed right. 1) all chars in your account should belong to only one race (last heard), 2) open pvp is not my cup of tea. :)

With all the level-based games flooding the MMORPG market, why cant the devs just make a good skill based medieval MMORPG.

I think someone mentioned UO. I've heard good things about that one. I think you should check it out. [grin]
I was there on day1 of UO, till AOS. And I am a big fan of Runuo (if you know what it is ;)). I can even do some scripting using C# for Runuo. UO is still good, but I just need something new and refreshing. And I dont think I am alone on this.

And yes, to mold an archetype with skill combinations is what I want. I know it's more difficult to design a skill-based game right than to make an EQ clone, but I simply think that there should be a market for a good skill-based refined UO clone.

If I got 5M to burn, i'd rather risk for a UO clone than an EQ clone. Especially when EQ2 and WoW have already drawn almost all the EQ fans, why not just burn your 5mil targeting on the UO fanbase. That's my question to the devs. lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement