• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mari_p

OpenGL Are GLUT functions processed in CPU only?

This topic is 4781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a basic question: Is "GLUT + Win32 Console App" slower than "GLU + Win32 App"? I noticed that my CPU works at 100% when the application uses GLUT and it works at 9% otherwise (that is, the appl. uses OpenGL without GLUT). [Edited by - Mari_p on June 14, 2005 3:08:28 AM]

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Mari_p
Is "GLUT + Win32 Console App" slower than "GLU + Win32 App"?

no
to free up cputime stick a pause somewhere in the loop

Quote:
Original post by Mari_p
Is "GLUT + Win32 Console App" slower than "GLU + Win32 App"?

You are somewhat confused here. I think

1. Building an application as a "console" subsystem versus a "windows" subsystem application will not affect its performance in any way - at least, not unless you also do a zillion printfs into the console window (NT console windows are not performant for printf)

2. GLU is a totally different library from GLUT. GLU does things like setting up viewpoints (gluLookAt, gluPerspective), drawing geometric shapes and functions to make picking easier.

3. GLUT contains a windowing framework which may by default, "busy-wait" i.e. keeping the CPU permanently doing stuff, if as soon as it has finished one render, it starts the next.

Neither GLU nor GLUT should adversely affect the performance of your application if correctly used - but like anything else, WILL adversely affect its performance if incorrectly used.

Personally I don't use GLUT because it doesn't do what I want - I also cannot bring myself to take seriously a library which contains a function for drawing a teapot*.

Mark

* Not that I have anything against teapots, but it's a HARD CODED model :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
glut/3ds max - teapot
blender - monkey

crazy world...

Quote:
Original post by markr
...I also cannot bring myself to take seriously a library which contains a function for drawing a teapot*.

Do you know history of teapot? I you do then you should understand why it's there, if not google it. It's a fun read.

Quote:
Original post by STLDude
Quote:
Original post by markr
...I also cannot bring myself to take seriously a library which contains a function for drawing a teapot*.

Do you know history of teapot? I you do then you should understand why it's there, if not google it. It's a fun read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_teapot

Thank you for the comments, friends. Now I understand why CPU was working at 100% on my GLUT application.

Quote:

Personally I don't use GLUT because it doesn't do what I want - I also cannot bring myself to take seriously a library which contains a function for drawing a teapot*.

Mark

* Not that I have anything against teapots, but it's a HARD CODED model :)

Well, you could use the teapot model as the boss enemy in your game... [grin]
teapot.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!