Looking for intermediate-level FFP book recommendations

Started by
3 comments, last by Saruman 18 years, 10 months ago
Hey all, I just finished reading "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by Frank D. Luna. It's really a great read and an excellent introduction to DirectX. Now that I've finished, I'm looking for another book that's a little more advanced. However, I want to keep using the fixed function pipeline (for now). I want to learn all of the in's and out's before I venture into vertex/pixel shaders. So, does anyone know of a good intermediate-level DirectX book that deals with tricks and techniques using the fixed function pipeline? Detailed coverage of stuff like bump mapping, reflections, shadows, decals, multitexturing effects, etc etc.. I can't think of any more, but you get the idea. Thanks! :)
Advertisement
Hi,

I cannot recommend you any book (why am I writing then :) ), but there are several good articles about the topics you mentioned. These have the advantage that if one of them is difficult to understand then you will have another one to clarify. And you can print them ;)

kp
------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!
Anyone have any books to recommend? Or do intermediate-level DX books just not exist...
Hey kosmon_x,

I also enjoyed Frank Luna's book greatly, and it's always a good reference(although very short) on a lot of topics. His style was great and I havn't seen any book cover DX that well yet. Have you read his website yet, he has a couple great articles that go into more advanced DirectX that he couldn't fit into his book. Unfortunatly, most of them deal with shaders so you'll need to read his last section to gain the best understanding.

Also kosmon, I think it's ok to move on to shaders because since I've gotten a better understanding on how to use them for techniques the fixed function pipeline version becomes apparent because you know exactly how all the fixed function calls will lay out on the graphics card. So in my opinion, read his last couple chapters and try to understand how to write some basic shaders such as multi-texturing. Then go back and try to multi-texture on the fixed function pipeline, you'll appreciate how much easier it is!

Good luck
Quote:Original post by kosmon_x
Or do intermediate-level DX books just not exist...

Not using the FFP they don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement