• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bouga

Some libraries

This topic is 4851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I need to program an application that can be compiled to run on windows and on linux, hopefully without any changes in the source code, or just some small ones. But so far I've been a "windows only" programmer so this is something totaly new for me. The application needs to have a GUI and networking possibilities, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions/share personal experience on what libraries to use for a portable GUI and portable networking? Thanks!

Advertisement
As for GUI I would highly recommend wxWidgets. Its a very mature GUI library for pretty much every platform known to man.

For networking, it kind of depends on what you want to do. Is this a real time game? Do you just need to send http requests? If you need to send and recieve a resonable amount of syncronised data I would suggest you check out libraries like RakNet or http://www.hawksoft.com/hawknl/.

Alan

Thanks, wxWidgets seems the perfect choice for me! But the networking stuff - no its not a game, its an app that will need mostly small packages sent a few times a second, but also some big (could even be ~50megs) files & lots of 'em sent some times. These two libraries seem a bit too game oriented, You think its possible to use them for file transfer effectively?

RakNet may be a bit game-oriented, but HawkNL looks pretty generic (although I just skimmed through the API documentation).

EDIT: You might be confusing HawkNL with HawkNLU, which I believe is a wrapper over HawkNL that's meant to be used in games.

Hmm, You are right, HawkNL does seem ok for my needs.. dont know why I got that impression the first time. Thanks.

windows supports bsd sockets, as does linux. If you use windows wininet you'll be very close to having portable networking code.

We use it here and it ports almost line for line to linux and OS X.

Cheers
Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!