• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Marz

Advice on a Purchase

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been programming using Visual Studio 6 and have decided that I should upgrade to the .net technology. I however am a bit reluctant to buy Visual Studio.net 2003 as I see the beta for 2005 is out. If the 2005 is not going to be a huge change (like from VB6 to .net was) then I have no problem in buying the 2003 version. It's just that I don't want to spend $600 on this and then have it become old technology as VB6 is. I also am not crazy about buying 2005 and there not being any resources online or in book form to learn it. So should I buy 2003 now or wait for the release of 2005? I assume the main difference will be going from 32 bit to 64 bit. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you

Advertisement
Go download the one of the express betas and play around with that. They're totally free to download while VS 2005 is in beta and when it's actually released (should be in the later half of this year) the express editions will be priced at around $50 each.

Note that (to my knowledge) you need VS 2005 to use .Net 2.0 which will supercede .Net 1.1 (which you use with VS 2003). I'd recomend waiting for 2005 to come out and buy that and using one of the express edition betas for now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!