• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

I wanna add multiplay to my game...

This topic is 4724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

...but I don't know where to start. I'm writing a DirectX 2D quad game engine in cpp (it works), and now I want to add multiplay to it. I've read the tutorials on GameDev.net, but they were written a long time ago and I don't know if they're still in use today. What's the most up-to-date or recommended standard for writing network code for a game? Is WinSock still a valid option? If so, should I use WinSock or should I use something else? Finally, where should I go to find tutorials and resources (dll's, lib's, code samples) for your recommended networking option? Hope I ain't askin' too much... Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it! [smile]

Advertisement
Thanks for the reply, smr. That RakNet looks pretty feature-packed! But is that the only option for adding net support for a game? I was hoping to hear several options and opinions, so I could better judge what would be best for my particular application (and also just out of curiosity [smile]).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!