• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ketchaval

God-based RPG?

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It would be neat to see a game where you play a 'God' and there are competing Gods that want to destroy you, but not in terms of territory (ie. Populous /Black & White) BUT in terms of the standard RPG plot, ie. they control avatars such as the big-bad character who steals the amulets that allow him to control the world. So the win / lose conditions would be based on control of ancient artifacts / religious doctrine (okay that is sort of Populous-esque). Likewise, you are able to control / become "chosen-ones" and send them on quests / missions. You can influence the minds of heads of villages and get them to wage war on nearby villages controlled by other gods. Likewise if your "avatar" is killed you can control another one (who is a bit weaker). P.S I wonder if a God's eye view of the world would be like a photo-mosaic TM. Where he/she/it could see the view through everybody's eyes at once, and understand their feelings and thoughts? http://www.pirateplanet.com/Museum_Of_Science_And_Industry/Van_Gough_Self_Portrait_Photomosaic.jpg [Edited by - Ketchaval on June 14, 2005 12:00:09 PM]

Advertisement
Sounds like a cool idea. I'd like to see a game like that as well. When I think of 'god' games the only two that come to mind are Actraiser and Actraiser II, which were fun I thought. I enjoyed the mix between adventure and city simulation. [smile] But a RPG focused on gods would be really cool. At least, it might make more sense when gods (rather than humans) do their "Crash big meteor into the world and annihilate 1/6th of the globe" attack, which were pretty prominent in Final Fantasy VII. [lol]

I think it would be cool to have a good implementation of a God game. Locations and/or items to control of great spiritual energy is a good way to go, though technically Black&White's story was about the collection of the 3 Crim (i think thats what their called) objects to become the one god, though that was more of a plot device, gameplay itself was primarily about territory. The player could manipulate/coerce the local people to help him get the objects/places and do his thing to increase his power, while working to keep the opposing gods out of the way (either through brutal violence or manipulation). I could see the player being a god, take advantage of a villages Atheism and/or scientific principles towards gods to make it harder on the competition. :D

It does make quite abit of sense to that the player could come back weaker if he dies, since it would be easier to possess someone with a weak will than someone with a strong will, what you do with his body after that is the players business. ;D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!