• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
redmilamber

5 Types of state management?

This topic is 4807 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How many forms of distributed state management are there in a multiplayer game, and what names do you prefer for them (I know at least some have different parallel names)? Off the top of my head: Centralised state (on a server), clients send events in, receive explicit state notifications out, and just render them like playing a movie. Cloned synchronized state, clients send events in to a central place, receive events out, but run a local copy of all game logic (so that the events can be smaller, simpler, less frequent). All clients change state at the same moment in time, requiring synchronization, and must run fully deterministic algorithms. Event-based cloned state, where clients send events back and forth and each simulates it's own guess of what it thinks the other clients are going to do, and corrects guesses that later turn out to be wrong. Co-operative shared state, clients send data back and forth to each other and are authoritative on their own data and have some form of trust over other clients' data. Stateless gameplay, or where the game is architected so that state changes are very infrequent, and most of the game runs without needing it. ...but what others are there? And what objections does anyone have to those listed above :) ?

Advertisement
I have no commentary except curiosity.
Where might I find more information on the categories you've described?

I'd love to look some of those up!!!

Ah, well, when I finish writing it, you can read about them in my book :D.

But for now, you just have to google (and that's why I thought it would be useful to reference them all in one place, and gather the alternative names, because each place you can read about them uses different names for each :( ).

For names I perfer
centralized/decentralized
synchronous/asynchronous

I would make a differentiation where the client can request state information anytime or when only the server makes decisions when state messages are sent out...basically is the control of when a peer knows the world state is always centralized or is it sometime distributed

I am doing somewhat similar research and most of the literature on this subject is in the field of databases. I would be interested in learning more as your research developes.

Quote:
Original post by stake
I would make a differentiation where the client can request state information anytime or when only the server makes decisions when state messages are sent out...basically is the control of when a peer knows the world state is always centralized or is it sometime distributed

push/pull then? :)

Hmm. If it works out, categorizing all of them by opposing pairs would be a very neat way of doing it. I'll see if I can cover them all in that way. Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!