• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RichHeimlich

Need help finding resource for sound coding

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guys where is the best place to find experienced coders involving sound libraries and such? I need to create a sound benchmarking product at work and everyone I speak with knows graphics but no sound. The app I need to create needs to be able to deal with things like sound occlusion and such. It's just a demo of being able to identify and locate items in 3D space based on their sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you're the person for this, feel free to contact me at 856-857-1777.

Advertisement
Upon looking I found this resource site. It seems like it might have some useful stuff for you. I'm not much into audio programming but I would say to look into a commercial program that already does what your trying to do(if one exists) that way you can get a feel of how they did things. Theres probably a couple books on audio programming as I know there is one dealing with audio programming and game developement. As always good luck and let Google be your friend. Best regards in making your app.

I'm looking for resource to people. I'm not a coder so examples on how to code aren't of much help. Sorry if my request wasn't as clear as it could have been.

Is this a job offer? if so im willing to give it a shot. This problem sounds like alot of math and coding. and it depends how in depth you want to get into it. Since you are trying to find the location of an object in a 3d world based on their sound, i would probably make simplifications to the real physics of sound and use some math to figure out what each ear will hear. I would model the sound with a bunch of homing bouncing bullets being emmited from the sound source. The bullets or "waves" would always home towards the listeners ear. The amount of homing would depend on the starting angle between the vector from the listener to the sound source, and the amount of bulets you initially emit from the source.
So I would propegate these bullets in the usual manner, bouncing them when they hit a wall and multiplying their loudness by a daming constant for that particular material. I would continue them a point when it is probable that that bullet will not home towards the listeners ears or it becomes too faint.

This method would work well for short sounds, but long sounds could be moddeled by sending a group of these bullets out every so often and just linearly the volume/pan of the sound between when a bullet hits the ears.

Another note on the homing that i just thought of, the homing can be used to model the spreading out of sound waves, so the bullet should home at a greater and greater rate based on its distance travelled, as well as this the sound will become fainter.

just write an email to the music-dsp mailing list ( music-dsp@shoko.calarts.edu ). you must first subscribe here
that's pretty much the place well all hardcore sound programmers slack.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!