• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
prairiedog2k

SDL Mixer Capability Question

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone here give me a 'goto' to create something like the frequency level chart in XMMS ( for example see http://www.webaugur.com/bibliotheca/linux/xmms-double.jpg - right below track time (84:01) ). I have seen a piece of example code SDL_mixer.c floating around out on the net, but it doesn't seem like the callbacks sorts the SDL_mixer return data by frequency (after I compiled it and tested it it looked like a streaming oscilloscope, plus it seemed to kill the framerate on my AMD64 3400+). If anyone here is familiar with the PSP Lumines game then the frequency level effect in the background is similar to what I am trying to achieve. I am not dead set on SDL_mixer so if anyone has an example that uses a different audio library I would be open to trying it.

Advertisement
Fast fourier transforms would help if I knew for sure that I was getting the sample at the beginning of the frequency spectrum everytime the callback returned. As it is, I am not so sure that I can do this with SDL_mixer.

In writing the post that began this thread I indicated that I was open to new libraries which got me thinking about what other sound libraries are out there. I reviewed some of the threads in this forum and saw references to FMOD which can do exactly what I want. It may be a little better than SDL_Mixer as I had noticed when I started experimenting with callbacks and sample rates performance and sound quality were affected beyond the limits of what I found to be acceptable.

Licensing may become an issue in the future, but is not currently a concern.

That being said, I am still open to feedback on this topic...

I use FMOD, and while I've never used that feature, I've always found it straightforeward to use.

tj963

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!