Blurry LCDs

Started by
6 comments, last by Nypyren 18 years, 10 months ago
Quick question here, why are LCD screens blurry when playing a fast game? I heard something about a game having to be in the monitors native resolution for it to not be blurry, is this true?
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
If the screen looks 'fuzzy' when static, then it is the resolution. The LCD display will only display in its native resolution.. all other resolutions are converted to the LCD's resolution. Blurring animation will result from having a low refresh rate.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
1.) You have to be in the monitor's native resolution for perfect clarity.
2.) If you have a cheap LCD with a high response rate you will see ghosting.

If you put down some money on a good LCD you have no problems, I use 2 Samsung 915Ns with 8ms response and they are totally crisp.

Quote:Original post by falkone
Blurring animation will result from having a low refresh rate.

Actually with LCDs refresh rate has nothing to do with 'blurring' or 'ghosting' it is totally up to the response rate.

Yup most of it is in the respone rate of the monitor. Saruman explained it well :)
Erm, that's what I was referring to. Excuse me, though, as I am quite intoxicated.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
The problem I was having was with the Dell LCDs in my school. My game was almost unplayable on them, however, other retail games worked just fine.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Quote:Yup most of it is in the respone rate of the monitor.

Eh... that's part of the problem, but not the whole. As was said above, it's a balance between quality and speed (response time). My old (supposidly) 25ms response time Microtek 815C 18" LCD has no ghosting that I've ever noticed on any game (including CS:S, UT2k4, etc).

-Greven
Sometimes LCDs need to get warmed up before they play games well. At least mine do (they are 25ms response but work very well). On my LCDs, darker games blur more (I suspect my rise time is much shorter than my fall time), and bright games blur about the same as a CRT. Very playable, anyway. And the pixel crispness at native resolution makes me CRY when I go to work and have to use CRTs.

I have two monitors using the Sceptre 17" 1280x1024 panel. (One is called the Komodo, one is called the Naga, and the only difference is the color of the plastic and the stand piece).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement